This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Make this festive Red, White & Blue Drink for 4th of July! Learn how to make a non-alcoholic layered drink with layers of red punch, white gatorade, and blue Hawaiian Punch. It’s the perfect and most patriotic beverage to celebrate 4th of July with.
Serve this layered mocktail drink alongside these Red, White & Blue Monster Cookie Bars and this Red, White & Blue Trifle.
Red, White & Blue Drink Recipe
You will love this festive and patriotic, layered, non-alcoholic drink for 4th of July! It’s a layered red, white & blue drink that is perfect for a celebration. And because there is no alcohol in it, it’s the perfect drink for kids. Or adults, like me, who don’t drink.
You will need three different colored drinks, glass cups or clear plastic cups, and ice.
Here is the short list of ingredients that you will need to make this beverage.
- Ice – I love using pebbled ice but any ice will work just fine.
- Simply Fruit Punch – This is the bottom layer which means that it has the highest sugar content.
- White Glacier Cherry Gatorade – This is the middle layer. It has the next highest sugar content. Because it’s white, it is harder to see as a distinct layer, but it blends nicely with the darker colors below it and above it.
- Berry Blue Typhoon Hawaiian Punch – This is the blue layer. It has the lowest sugar amount per serving so it gets the top spot.
How To Make a Layered 4th of July Drink (Non-Alcoholic Mocktail)
Learn how to make a festive and patriotic layered drink with this easy tutorial and simple step by step process. Be sure and read to the bottom of this post for the full recipe card with all the ingredients, instructions, and tips.
- Glass Cup + Ice : Fill a glass cup, or clear plastic cup, with ice.
- Red Layer : Pour about 1/4 cup of the fruit punch into the glass with ice.
- White Layer : Take the back of a silver spoon, and slowly pour the white gatorade over the back of the spoon. Doing this will help the drink gently go into the cup and not mix so easily into the red layer.
- Blue Layer : Use the back of the spoon for this step too. Gently pour the blue punch on top of the white layer, filling it to the top of the glass.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my tips so that you can have success making this layered drink.
- Sugar Content : The most important thing to remember about layered drinks, is that they work only because the sugar content is stacked. Meaning, start with the highest sugar content drink, followed by the next highest, and then finish off with the lowest sugar content drink. You can use any drink or punch you want that coordinate with the colors, but you have to stack them in order of their sugar content. So make sure that the red drink has the most sugar, followed by the white drink, and lastly the blue layer should have the least amount of sugar per serving.
- Tip For Layering : Pour the red layer and then gently & slowly pour the remaining layers over the back of a silver spoon. This helps the liquid not go into the glass so abruptly, instead it kind of trickles down into the cup and gently layers on top of the red, etc.
- Ice First : It’s so important to make sure that you start with a glass filled with ice first. If you try to add it after layering the drinks, it will mess up the pretty layers.
- Use a Glass Cup or Clear Cup : To get the full effect of the red, white & blue layers make sure you use glass cups or clear plastic cups.
- Different Sizes : No need to measure each layer. You can easily eyeball it with great results (this is what I usually do). Use larger glasses if wanted, or smaller ones for kids. No matter what size glass cup you use, just try to evenly layer each layer into the cup.
Red, White & Blue Drink FAQ’s
- Can I Make a Layered Drink Ahead of Time?
- No. It’s best to make this layered drink when you need it. The ice will eventually water down the drink, which will also make the red white and blue layers not as deep. Serve this drink as needed.
- Variation Ideas for Layered Drinks
- So many ways to switch this up for different Holidays. The most important thing to remember is to start with the highest sugar content, followed by the 2nd highest sugar content, and then followed by the least amount of sugar content drink.
- Use red and pink drinks for a fun Valentine’s Day drink. Try making a red, white, and green drink for Christmas.
- I’ve also done a layered drink for my daughter’s birthday party in her favorite color. Pink! Start with a red punch, a lighter red punch, and then a pink punch like pink lemonade or raspberry lemonade.
- How Do I Store Leftovers?
- Once the drink is poured, it needs to be served right away, for best results. If you have leftover layered drinks that are already poured, you will have to either drink them, throw them out, etc.
- If you have leftover beverage in the container, simply store those in the fridge for later use.
- Serving Suggestions for a 4th of July Layered Drink
- I love to serve these layered drinks with an American flag on a toothpick inside the drink. You can find these at the stores around 4th of July.
- Kids love to drink this with a licorice straw. I love Red Vines.
- Serve each drink with a red and white striped paper straw or other festive patriotic paper straws.
- Garnish each drink with a maraschino cherry.
Red, White & Blue Drink
- 1/4 cup Simply Fruit Punch
- 1/4 cup Glacier Cherry Gatorade (full sugar version)
- 1/4 cup Berry Blue Typhoon Hawaiian Punch
- * The 1/4 cup measurement above are for an 8 oz glass cup. If using larger sized cups, just eye ball it, or increase it depending on how large the cup is.
- Fill a glass cup, or clear plastic cup, with ice.
- Pour the Simply Fruit Punch into the bottom of the glass. Let it sit for a few seconds so all the red juice can drain to the bottom from the ice.
- Slowly and gently pour the white gatorade into the glass, over the red layer. * To help with this, hold a silver spoon over the cup, and pour the gatorade onto the back of the spoon. This way, it will gently glide into the cup, rather than a harsh pour that might mess up the red layer.
- Slowly pour the blue Hawaiian Punch into the glass cup to create the last layer.
- Serve immediately. Serving suggestions are a red and white striped paper straw, patriotic paper straws, licorice as a straw (like Red Vines), maraschino cherry, and/or an American Flag toothpick topper.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I'd love to see it! You can share it with me on @togetherasfamilyblog and follow on Pinterest @together-as-family-blog-recipes or Facebook @togetherasfamilyblog for more!
Did you love this recipe?
Make sure to comment below so we can chat about it! Or follow on your favorite social network for even more family recipes.