Easy Taco Soup is loaded with ground beef, chili beans, corn, and tomatoes. Pile it high with corn chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese. One pot and about 30 minutes is all you need for an easy dinner!
EASY TACO SOUP RECIPE
Taco soup is something that I crave every time the temperatures drop. This easy taco soup recipe is one of my all-time favorites because it’s so quick and simple to make!
The best part are the toppings, right?! Fritos corn chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese are a must for my family!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR TACO SOUP
- 1 lb lean ground beef – I always use 93/7
- Yellow Onion – You can use any variety of onion you want (sweet onion, white onion, etc) but after years of making this recipe I have found that the yellow onion provides lots of flavor but not the spicy onion taste.
- Reduced-Sodium Beef Broth – Please do not use the full-salt beef broth as it’s way too salty for this soup. I’ve done it thinking that it would fine, it’s not! 🙂
- Chili Beans – These are pinto beans in a mild chili sauce. Look for the can of beans that specifically says ‘chili beans’ on the front. These beans go in the pot undrained because you want that flavorful chili sauce that they are in.
- Petite Diced Tomatoes – I always use petite diced tomatoes because we prefer smaller chunks of tomato, but feel free to use regular diced tomatoes as well. It will work just fine.
- Canned Corn – Use any kind of canned corn you want. Yellow corn, white corn, or even gold & white canned corn is delicious too.
- Tomato Sauce
- Taco Seasoning – I use the packet of ‘mild’ taco seasoning but you can use the regular stuff or even a ‘hot’ taco seasoning if wanted.
One of my favorite ways to eat this taco soup is with Fritos Scoops! Kids love this too because they can eat with their hands and eat chips too! Even my kids who hate beans love this soup.
There are plenty of ways to spice this recipe up. Use a packet of hot taco seasoning, add some chopped jalapeno to the soup (or garnish with jalapeno slices), add some cayenne pepper or additional chili powder to the soup.
And if you’re looking for more taco soup recipes then be sure and try this simple, 30 minute taco soup that uses ranch seasoning mix (so good!), this super popular 7 can chicken taco soup, or this turkey chili taco soup.
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 can (14.75 oz) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3 cans (15.5 oz each) chili beans undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) corn undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning I use the mild version
In a pot, over medium high heat, cook and crumble the ground beef with the chopped onion until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. This helps the soup thicken and the flavors come together.
Serve with your favorite toppings; shredded cheese, sour cream, Fritos Scoops, avocado, etc.
Use whatever onion you prefer. I would suggest a yellow onion, white onion, or a sweet onion (Vidalia onion). This recipe is not spicy. If you want more heat then use a can of Rotel diced tomatoes in place of the diced tomato and/or add a can of diced green chilies. As always, customize the spices to your liking. If one taco seasoning packet is not enough, then add some additional garlic powder, cumin, and chili powder to the soup.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST