This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
ROOT BEER BBQ CHICKEN
This root beer bbq shredded chicken has been a long time family favorite. It only takes minutes to mix up the bbq sauce, root beer, and seasonings and then all you have to do is pour it over some chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
Only 6 ingredients, and that includes 3 dried spices, needed for this easy dinner recipe. It’s one of the easiest recipes to make and the chicken is fall apart tender thanks to the long crock pot cook time. It’s the perfect weeknight meal when you want something that’s ready when you are.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR ROOT BEER BBQ SHREDDED CHICKEN
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
Root Beer – Please don’t use diet root beer. It just won’t taste as good in this recipe. You want the extra sugar and flavor from regular root beer. We love the A&W root beer but any brand will work.
BBQ Sauce – Use one you love! Stub’s and Sweet Baby Ray’s make a great store-bought bbq sauce that we love. If you want more sweetness then pick a bbq sauce with honey or brown sugar in it as well. We always use regular flavored bbq sauce with great results.
Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, and Salt
TWO EASY STEPS TO MAKE BBQ SHREDDED CHICKEN
– Lay the chicken breasts into the insert of the slow cooker.
– In a small bowl, combine the bbq sauce, root beer, and seasonings. Stir with a whisk to combine. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
– I serve this chicken as sandwiches inside hamburger buns or rolls.
– There will be lots of liquid but that’s a good thing! It keeps the chicken so moist and flavorful. Use tongs or a slotted spoon to serve the chicken to drain some of the juice.
– This recipe makes a lot of shredded chicken. Store leftovers covered in the fridge (I always add some extra liquid to keep the chicken moist) and use it for another dinner. We love to make this bbq chicken french bread pizza with the leftovers or this bbq chicken soup. Yum!
– Butter both sides of a hamburger bun and broil on high for just a few minutes. Watch carefully! You can even add a slice of cheese if wanted.
BBQ Root Beer Chicken
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups root beer (NOT diet)
- 1½ cups bbq sauce
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker and place chicken breasts inside.
- In a small bowl whisk together garlic powder, onion powder, salt, root beer, and bbq sauce until combined. Pour over the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 8 hours.
- When cook time is done, shred chicken with two forks and let it stay in the slow cooker (in the juices to stay moist) until ready to serve.
- * This chicken does really on the warm setting too so if you're not eating right away just change the setting to warm and it will be ready when you are.
- Serve shredded chicken, with a slotted spoon or tongs, on buns or rolls.