All the flavors of classic coconut curry chicken but in a easy dump-it-and-forget-about-it slow cooker chicken curry recipe! Perfectly spiced, creamy coconut, tender potatoes & chicken all served over some fragrant Jasmine rice. A simple & delicious easy weeknight family dinner that's mild enough for kids to enjoy.
COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN
Anything Thai and curry holds a special place in my heart ♥ My husband spent two years living in Cambodia and lived off of curries, thai food, rice, etc.
I never had any sort of Thai or curry dish until I met my husband in college.
Our first date was actually to a Thai restaurant! I still remember the taste and smell of that food.
I love that about curry; all the exotic spices and seasonings, the bold flavor of the curry served over the plain rice. It is one of our family's favorite type of food.
This family favorite slow cooker chicken coconut curry is obviously not "authentic" but it is delicious and more of a mild flavor that even kids will eat it!
It's also a dump-it-and-forget-it slow cooker dinner! Put it all into the slow cooker in the morning and come home to a house that smells like a Thai restaurant.
Chunks of chicken, potatoes, red bell pepper, and onion is covered in an easy curry sauce of chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, cumin, and salt. So easy, minimal ingredients, but still very reminiscent of a classic curry dish.
HOW TO MAKE COCONUT CURRY CHICKEN
- Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breasts, Yukon gold potatoes, red pepper, and onion into chunks. I like to cut the onion small but leave the potatoes, chicken, and red pepper in larger 1" chunks.
- Place them into the insert of the slow cooker.
- Prepare the simple coconut curry sauce. Mix together coconut milk, chicken broth, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Pour that over the chopped meat and veggies, and stir to combine everything together.
- Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Combine cornstarch + cold water and mix into the slow cooker to help thicken the curry. Serve over cooked rice, and garnish with cashews and cilantro (if wanted).
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- DO NOT use the lite coconut milk. Just don't. I bought the lite coconut milk by accident one time and decided to use it anyways. Worst decision ever. The lite coconut milk is basically just watered down full-fat coconut milk so it provided zero creamy coconut flavor.
- Use full salt, regular chicken broth. You NEED the extra salt from the chicken broth. The slow cooker tends to mute spices. If you do use reduced-sodium chicken broth then be sure to taste it and add additional salt if necessary after the cook time.
- Serve over a long-grain rice. I prefer Jasmine rice or Basmati rice. I cook mine on the stove top according to the directions on the bag, or a rice cooker, and even the instant pot.
- I know this curry is not "authentic" rather it's a very Americanized, easier home cook version. I get it. My blog is not about authentic dishes rather it's about recipes that anyone can make that their family will love 🙂
- I highly recommend using the Yukon gold potatoes. They are a sweeter, creamier, more flavorful potato. A good substitute is red potato if you must.
Slow Cooker Chicken Coconut Curry
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1" chunks)
- 4 yukon gold potatoes (cut into 1" chunks)
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- Jasmine rice, chopped cilantro, chopped cahsews for serving
- Place the chunked chicken, potatoes, red pepper, and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl combine the chicken broth, coconut milk, curry powder, cumin, and salt. Stir with a wire whisk until combined. Pour into the slow cooker and mix everything together.
- Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for about 4 hours,
- 30 minutes before cook time is done combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl. Pour into the slow cooker and stir everything together. Cover with lid and let it cook the remaining 30 minutes. The cornstarch will help thicken the curry.
- Serve over Jasmine rice and garnish with chopped cilantro and chopped cashews. The cashews are a must! They are so yummy with this curry.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
Simple and tasty. Thanks
This was so delicious and we all loved it! It made quite a bit. I am wondering if the leftovers can be frozen. Thanks!
Tasty and thick, but it is missing something. I have not been able to put my finger on the ingredient, my curry coconut curry chicken with potatoes is in need of, but it needs something. Also, 4 hours in a crock pot is too long. I will try 2 hours next time.
Delicious! And o-so-easy!
Can we use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Together As Family
Yes you can. Enjoy!
I love this recipe! I have tried a ton of your recipes and this in my top 3 favorites. I do mine on the stovetop and it works just as well. Thank you for all the time you’ve spent testing these recipes.