Taco Bowls loaded with perfectly shredded and seasoned lime chicken that’s made in the crock pot! Serve with rice, corn, lettuce, cheese, avocado, and salsa for a delicious, make it yourself dinner.
My favorite foods just happen to be beans & rice. Sounds crazy but it’s true. Unfortunately, the only one of my kids that will eat beans or rice is my 2 year old!
Which is why taco bowls and burrito bowls are a dinner favorite. If you don’t like rice then put lettuce on the bottom and then load it up with chicken and toppings. I normally don’t serve these taco bowls with beans, but you certainly could!
Funny thing is, my kids will eat salad and bell peppers like it’s candy but won’t touch rice. So weird to me, haha 🙂
HOW TO MAKE TACO BOWLS
- Add chicken breasts, a can of chicken broth, fresh lime juice, cumin, and chili powder into the insert of the crockpot. Cook on LOW heat for 4-5 hours, depending on if you use fresh or frozen.
- When the chicken time is done, take it out with a slotted spoon and put it into a mixing bowl. Use a handheld blender to blend it on medium speed. You will end up with perfect, restaurant quality shredded chicken. Or just use two forks and call it good! Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker so it can stay moist.
- Serve in bowls with all the taco toppings. We also use rice as the base, top with some shredded chicken, shredded lettuce, avocado slices, canned fire roasted corn, tomatoes, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- These are super versatile! You can serve with beans, guacamole, pico de gallo, cauli rice, no rice and just over lettuce.
- You can also forget the taco bowls and serve the shredded chicken as tacos, inside burritos, quesadillas, nachos. I love this recipe because it can literally be used for anything.
- The leftovers also make for really good baked nachos, inside quesadillas, or use in any recipe that calls for shredded chicken.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- I love, love, love this recipe for Mexican rice. It’s so easy, no chopping, and you just add it all together in one pan. This cilantro lime rice is also a favorite and a great thing to make for these taco bowls. I also have instant pot versions of Mexican rice and cilantro lime rice.
- These bowls are also really good served with a cilantro ranch dressing or this salsa verde cilantro ranch dressing.
- If you love guacamole like me then try out these recipes for pico de gallo guacamole and salsa verde guacamole.
- I always use fresh chicken breasts because I think the texture turns out better and I just love the freshness of it. You can use frozen chicken breasts, just adjust the cook time because frozen may need an additional hour or less.
TRY THESE OTHER TACO & BURRITO BOWL RECIPES
- Turkey Taco Burrito Bowls
- Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Instant Pot Quinoa Burrito Bowls
- Crockpot Fritos Taco Bowls
Lime Chicken Taco Bowls
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- 1 can (14.75 oz) chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- rice of choice
- shredded lettuce, cheese, sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, etc
- Spray crockpot insert with cooking spray. Lay chicken breasts in the crockpot.
- In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, fresh lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Stir with a whisk and pour it over the chicken. Cook on LOW heat for 4-6 hours.
- When cook time is done, remove chicken with slotted spoon into a mixing bowl. Use a handheld blender on medium speed to mix and shred the chicken. Or just use two forks. Add the shredded chicken back into the crockpot with the juices, and let sit there until ready to serve so it stays moist.
- Place rice in bottom of bowl, add a scoop of lime chicken, and top with all your favorite taco toppings.
SAVE THIS RECIPE AND PIN IT TO PINTEREST