This is the easiest potato soup you’ll ever make because there is no peeling and chopping potatoes! This recipe uses a bag of frozen cubed potatoes. Let the slow cooker do all the work for a delicious creamy potato soup. Don’t forget to top with bacon & cheese.
EASY POTATO SOUP RECIPE
Potato soup is my favorite comfort food and my first choice of soup! Growing up my mom made potato soup and homemade bread. I remember stuffing myself with the warm, hot bread and soup until I had a tummy ache. It was that good!
I am always on the hunt for the next best potato soup recipe. I’ll try them all. But no matter what I always come back to this recipe because it’s so simple to make and tastes amazing.
This slow cooker creamy potato soup is my favorite because it literally takes 5 minutes to prepare and then it cooks away all day in the crock pot.
As a huge added bonus, there is NO peeling and chopping potatoes! That’s always the most time consuming thing about potato soup is all the peeling and chopping. This soup uses frozen hash brown potato cubes and it makes things so much easier to prepare.
How to make this easy potato soup
Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
Dump the bag of frozen cubed hash brown potatoes in the crock pot.
Add a 32 oz carton of chicken broth, water, salt and pepper. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Stir together half & half milk with some flour. Pour into the potato soup and add a bar of cream cheese that has been cut up.
Let it cook for an additional 1 hour to melt the cream cheese.
My tips for making this recipe
Use the full-salt chicken broth. Please! You need the flavor for the potato soup. I don’t find it salty at all with the chicken broth + 1 teaspoon of salt. As it cooks all day, the slow cooker tends to mute the seasonings over the cook time. So you need lots at the beginning.
All crock pots seem to cook at different temperatures. My soup is done at 6 1/2 hours. After the cook time, I add the milk/flour mixture and the cream cheese and then put it on the warm setting for 1-2 hours until it’s dinner time.
If you’re eating it right away, add the milk/flour mixture and the cream cheese, cover with the lid and let it cook an additional 30 minutes to melt the cream cheese so everything is combined.
It’s best to use the half & half. Any milk lower than that will be too thin and result in a thinner soup.
If you choose to mash the potatoes at the end of the cook time for no potato chunks, please be careful to not over mash them. Doing so will release too much starch which results in a gummy potato soup. I never mash the potatoes and it’s still so creamy with tender chunks of potato. As you stir in the milk and cream cheese, the potatoes will naturally break down to create a creamy soup with some potato chunks.
Try these other soup recipes
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 1 bag (32 oz) frozen cubed hashbrown potatoes
- 1 carton (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half & half milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Dump in the frozen cubed potatoes, chicken broth, water, diced onion, salt, and pepper. Stir together.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- When done cooking, mix together half & half milk and flour in a small bowl. Pour into the soup and add the cubed cream cheese. Cover with lid and let cook and additional 30 minutes.
- If I'm not serving the soup right away, I will add the milk/flour mix and cream cheese, then cover with the lid and set the crock pot to the warm setting for 1-2 hours. It keeps well on the warm setting if needed.
- Serve with bacon pieces, shredded cheese, and green onions.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
Recipe originally published October 2015.
It’s been republished and updated October 2018.
Original recipe called for 1/2 cup chopped celery and I have since omitted it from the recipe. It was not needed and really true to a potato soup.