CREAM CHEESE CHICKEN SOUP
This cream cheese chicken soup was one of the very first recipes I ever posted on this blog! It's still made all the time at my house even after all these years.
This chicken soup is so creamy thanks to the cream cheese. It's also a great way to use up leftover chicken as it calls for already cooked chicken.
One pot and about 30 minutes is all you need for this delicious cream cheese chicken soup recipe with vegetables.
CHICKEN SOUP WITH VEGETABLES
- Onion - Use whatever kind you prefer. I always use a white, yellow, or even a sweet onion. Any will work.
- Sliced Carrots - Remember to slice these thin so they will cook in the given cook time. I always use baby carrots because they're already peeled and they are small, which means you just have to slice them and that's it! Baby carrots are my "Secret weapon" for any soup recipe that calls for sliced carrots.
- Potatoes - I use either red potatoes or yukon gold potatoes because we prefer the taste. I also always peel the potatoes but do as you prefer.
- Chicken Broth - Full-salt or the reduced salt chicken broth will both work in this recipe. Just taste the soup and add a touch more salt if needed, depending on which chicken broth you use.
- Cooked Chicken - Use up some leftover chicken (shredded or chunked), buy a rotisserie chicken or bake some in the oven or skillet pan on the stove top. My preferred way to cook chicken is to add it into a slow cooker with a can of chicken broth and let it cook on LOW for 6-7 hours. Then I just shred it up with two forks and use it in this recipe. It literally falls apart at the touch of the fork!
- Cream Cheese - Recipe calls for a bar of cream cheese (which is what I usually use) but one time I did not have any and so I used an 8 ounce tub of the spreadable chive & onion cream cheese and it was delicous!
- Milk + Flour - This thickens the soup so well. I always use whole milk but any milk should work. I would just stay away from skim milk as it has no fat in it.
TRY THESE OTHER CHICKEN SOUP RECIPES
Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups peeled and chopped potatoes I use Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken chunks or shredded
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk I use whole milk
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese cut into chunks
- In large pot (with a lid) melt butter over medium-high heat. Add in the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until tender.
- Add carrots, potato, chicken broth, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and parsley. Stir together and let heat through.
- In separate bowl combine flour and milk and mix together until combined. Pour into the soup. Stir.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese into the soup and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until the cream cheese is completely melted into the soup and the soup is thick and creamy. * To ensure no cream cheese chunks, place the unwrapped bar of cream cheese onto a microwave-safe plate, and cook for about 40 seconds. Add the softened cream cheese (no need to cut into chunks if doing it this way) and stir to combine.
- Leftovers keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. I warm them up in the microwave or on the stove top.
recipe adapted years ago from Taste of Home