This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
This recipe for slow cooker ranch potatoes was one of the first recipes I posted on the blog. I’ve made it countless times since and knew I needed to update it and republish it so it can be seen.
After 3 1/2 years of blogging it’s easy for recipes to get lost in the mix so I keep trying to get some of them updated.
Original post and recipe is below. Enjoy friends and I hope you get the chance to make these.
These potatoes! I am literally obsessed with these things at the moment. Very rarely do I make something for dinner and my little family of 5 (well, technically 4 eaters because of the baby) polishes off the entire thing.
These potatoes were an exception to that. We. Ate. Them. All!! Normally we have leftovers from dinner the night before and my husband will take it to work for lunch, but not this time!
How to make creamy ranch potatoes
- Wash 3 lbs of Yukon gold potatoes. You can choose to leave the skin on or peel the skin off. I peel the bad parts off of the potato and leave most of the skin on.
- Cut potatoes into larger chunks and place into the slow cooker insert.
- In a mixing bowl combine sour cream, milk, cream of potato soup, ranch seasoning mix, salt & pepper. Stir together and pour over the potatoes in the slow cooker.
- It will seem like a really thick mixture but as it cooks in the crock pot it will get nice and creamy.
My tips for making this recipe
- The cook time is listed for 4-6 hours on LOW heat. The cook time will depend on how small or large the potato chunks are. I end up cutting the potatoes into large chunks (about 1 1/2″) and mine cook for about 4 1/2 hours.
- I always use Yukon gold potatoes but you can also use red potatoes if wanted.
- Be sure you get the packet of buttermilk ranch seasoning mix. I don’t know why or how but it just tastes better than the regular ranch seasoning mix.
- Normally I say use full fat diary products when cooking or baking , but in this recipe you actually want the thinner milk like 1%.
- 3 lbs of potatoes is about 10 Yukon gold potatoes. I always buy the 5 pound bag and just eyeball the amount.
- This is not one of those recipes that you can let it cook all day while you’re away. It needs to be stirred a few times during the cook time to avoid the potatoes burning and sticking to the crock pot liner.
Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Potatoes
- 3 lbs yukon gold potatoes (about 10 potatoes)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed cream of potato soup
- 1 packet (0.4 oz) buttermilk ranch seasoning mix (DO NOT prepare)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spray slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Wash and peel the potatoes (or leave the skin on, either way is fine). Cut into large 1 1/2" - 2" chunks. Place chopped potatoes into the slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl combine the sour cream, milk, cream of potato soup, buttermilk ranch seasoning mix, salt & pepper. Stir together and pour over the potatoes. Mix everything together until the potatoes are coated.
- Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 4-6 hours. ** It's important to stir the potatoes 2-3 times during the cooking time to prevent burning and to make sure all the potatoes are getting coated in the creamy sauce.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST