SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS
If you want an easy dump & go crockpot dinner recipe than these sweet and sour meatballs are for you! So simply and quick to throw in the slow cooker in the morning.
I love how soft and tender meatballs get in the slow cooker. Combine that with the easy homemade sweet and sour sauce and some fluffy white rice, you have dinner perfection that not even the kids will complain about eating.
If you want really good quality meatballs than buy the huge bag of Italian meatballs from Costco. They are the best tasting frozen meatballs I've ever had.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS IN THE CROCKPOT
Frozen Meatballs - You can use any variety you like. I normally use Italian style meatballs because that is what Costco sells. If I am buy them at the grocery store than I normally just buy the homestyle variety. If you are measuring from a large pack than you will need to count out 60 meatballs. Or use a 32 ounce bag.
Pineapple Tidbits - Do not drain this! You want all that yummy pineapple juice in the can.
Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
Green Pepper - I prefer softer veggies so I always put the green pepper in at the beginning (as directed in the recipe). I know lots of people don't like soft veggies, if that's you than just add the green pepper in at the end when you also add the cornstarch/water mixture.
Cornstarch & Water - This is what will thicken the sauce up at the end of the cook time. A cornstarch slurry is 1 part cornstarch + 2 parts water.
TIPS & HELPFL HINTS FOR THIS EASY RECIPE
- Add the green pepper in at the end of the cook time (with the cornstarch/water mixture) if you want a crispier/al dente type pepper. We prefer softer veggies so I have always added in the green pepper at the beginning (as written in the recipe below).
- Use any variety of meatball you want. I use homestyle meatballs or the Italian style meatballs from Costco.
- We think this is best served over white rice and then garnished with green onions. You could also serve it over noodles, zoodles, or cauliflower rice.
YOU WILL LOVE THESE OTHER MEATBALL RECIPES
Slow Cooker Spaghetti and Meatballs - One of my family's favorite dinners! An easy slow cooker recipe with frozen meatballs, jarred pasta sauce, canned tomatoes, and spices. Serve over spaghetti noodles.
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs - Made with ground chicken in one skillet pan. A delicious pineapple teriyaki sauce simmers with the chicken meatballs on the stove top. Serve over rice.
The Best Homemade Meatballs - Nothing better than homemade meatballs! These are the best of the best. So good served in spaghetti sauce and over noodles, or serve them as an appetizer.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- 1 bag (32 oz) frozen precooked homestyle meatballs about 60 meatballs
- 1 can (20 oz) pineapple tidbits do not drain
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Dump the meatballs in.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pineapple, brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, and green pepper. Stir to combine and pour over the meatballs. Stir together to coat the meatballs in the sauce.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before cook time is up, combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl, pour into the slow cooker and stir. Cover with lid and let cook the remaining time. This will slightly thicken the sauce.* If you'd rather the green pepper be crispier than add in the sliced green pepper here with the cornstarch/water mix. ** Also, if you want the sauce thicker then double up on the cornstarch slurry. I have never done this but you could if you want the sauce really thick. I generally like to keep the sauce thinner when I am serving it over rice, so there is plenty to drizzle on the rice.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.