Creamy & cheesy chowder packed full of vegetables. Potato, corn, carrots, celery, and broccoli. This will be one veggie packed meal that no on will complain about!
I am so excited to share today’s recipe with y’all. Why? My. Kids. Love. This. Stuff! Like really really love it. Which makes me so happy. If you have kids you know how hard it is to get them to eat anything other than cookies, candy, juice, and every other snack food imaginable. I make this meal as much as I make our other favorite dinner creamy beef noodle bake.
Don’t be scared by the velveeta cheese. While I realize it’s not the healthiest thing ever, it is perfect for this chowder because velveeta cheese melts smoother and gives the final chowder an ultra creamy, smooth & cheesy taste. It’s really yummy. Plus, all those veggies that you’re getting clearly out-weigh the negatives of the velveeta 🙂 At least in my world they do.
The other odd ingredient in this chowder is the gravy packet. When I first made this recipe I remember thinking, and even googling (does anyone else google everything and anything like I do??), what I could replace that gravy packet with. I found nothing. So I used it and was pleasantly surprised. It adds so much flavor and creaminess.
Here is a tip for all the vegetable chopping. First chop the celery and onion and get those cooking. While the chicken broth is coming to a boil, chop your potatoes. While potatoes are cooking, chop your carrots and broccoli. Chopping all the veggies while the other components are cooking will save time and make this almost a 30-minute meal.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 3 cups cubed potatoes, peeled
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cans corn, do not drain
- 1 can cream-style corn
- 1 pkg. country-style gravy mix (DO NOT prepare)
- 2 cups milk, I use 1%
- 1 small package (16 oz) Velveeta cheese, cubed (can do half the block if preferred)
- In large soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add carrots and broccoli and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn and creamed corn. Return to boiling.
- In separate bowl or measuring cup, dissolve gravy mix packet in milk; stir into the soup pot.
- Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted.
The leftovers of this cheesy vegetable chowder are divine! The recipe makes enough to feed a small army so there will plenty left to eat through out the week.
Have a great day 🙂 Thanks for visiting!
This recipe needs a big soup pot so make sure that you use one that is big enough to fit all the yumminess!