Vegetable Chowder is so cheesy and full of fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, celery, potatoes, and corn! Even kids will eat this veggie-packed chowder soup recipe.
Vegetable chowder is loaded with fresh veggies like potatoes, corn, broccoli, celery, and carrots! Two "special ingredients" take this chowder over the top and make it so kid-friendly. Even kids won't have a problem eating this veggie-packed cheesy vegetable chowder recipe.
It cooks up in one pot, it's a hearty and filling meatless dinner recipe, and besides lots of chopping it's a fairly simple to make.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR VEGETABLE CHOWDER
Onion - A white or yellow onion works great!
Chicken Broth - I use one can of 33% reduced sodium chicken broth + one can of regular chicken broth. I like using one of each but if you want less salt than use two cans of reduced sodium chicken broth.
Chopped Potatoes - I prefer to use red potatoes in this recipe. I also peel the skin off but if you like the skin on then don't peel it.
Broccoli - Fresh broccoli is what you need! Chop it into small pieces.
Sliced Carrots - I use baby carrots because they are already small in size and there is no need to peel them.
Canned Corn - Do not drain the corn. Just dump the entire can into the pot.
Country Gravy Packet - Trust me on this one! It adds so much flavor, in fact it's really the only flavoring for this soup, it gives a peppery flavor and helps to thicken the soup.
Milk - I use whole milk or 2% milk for this recipe. The milk and gravy mix together to form the creamy paste for the soup.
Velveeta Cheese - I know this scares some people but don't let it. Velveeta is the perfect soup cheese because it melts perfectly smooth and it's yummy. Just try it once because the chowder is just not the same with shredded cheese. But you could of course use shredded cheese in place of the Velveeta.
TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR THIS CHOWDER RECIPE
- I know some may be questioning the use of the Velveeta and gravy packet but they make this chowder amazing. I promise. I don't use either one hardly at all. Especially the gravy packet. But in this soup, I use it every single time. If you leave out the gravy packet, you would for sure have to add some sort of seasoning as the packet is what makes the taste. Don't ask me what seasonings because I have never not used the gravy packet. Same thing with the Velveeta, you could use shredded cheese but it won't be the same.
- Cut all the veggies really small so they will soften up in the cook times listed. Try to cut everything the same size.
- For best results use whole milk or 2% milk in the recipe.
YOU WILL LOVE THESE OTHER CHEESY CHOWDER RECIPES
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder - Cooks in minutes in the Instant Pot. So creamy and the perfect soup to dip some bread in.
Cheesy Taco Soup - Cheesy taco soup is a kid favorite topped with all your favorite toppings. We love tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Casserole - Spaghetti tex-mex cheesy casserole is always a hit at the dinner table.
Easy Clam Chowder - Make your own clam chowder at home with this comforting one pot clam chowder recipe. It's easy too!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 finely diced onion white or yellow onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
- 3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes I use red potatoes
- 1½ cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli (fresh broccoli not frozen)
- 2 cans (15 oz each) corn do not drain
- 1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
- 2 cups milk whole milk or 2%
- 1 packet (2.6 oz) country style gravy
- 12 oz Velveeta cubed
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add butter, onion, and celery. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and peeled & chopped potatoes to the soup pot. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add carrots, broccoli, corn, and creamed corn to the soup pot. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 15 minutes. *At this point I will usually cover the pot with the lid to help everything cook faster.
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, add the contents from the gravy packet and the milk. Stir with a whisk until it's mixed well.
- Add the milk and gravy mix, and cubed Velveeta cheese into the soup pot. Stir and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes until everything is combined and Velveeta is melted. * It's important to not let the Velveeta burn/boil once you add in. Turn down the heat of needed.
- Serve & enjoy!
My family will love this as well. We eat a lot of soup in the cooler months and I can't wait to try this one in my rotation. I've pinned to make soon. Thanks for linking up to the Weekend Potluck last week. We love to see what you bring each week. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Together As Family
Hi Kim 🙂 Thanks for pinning! I make this year round at least monthly. Sometimes more 🙂 I love linking up with y'all. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.
I made this with canned vegetables for soup as the only change in the recipe. It was perfect for a cool fall evening! Thanks!
Can this be done in the Crockpot, if so how long should it cook.
Together As Family
I have never made this in the crock pot. It cooks in different stages so I am not sure. You could try adding it all in (minus the gravy packet and milk) cook on low for 4-5 hours and then add the gravy and flour mix as called for in the recipe. But again, this recipe was not created for the crock pot so I am just not sure.
This is such a delicious recipe. It worked out real well in the Crockpot @ 4.5 hours. II added the milk, gravy and cheese 1/2 hour before serving and I made a few tweeks. I eliminated the potato’s due to watching carb intake and added some leftover diced ham. I will definitely be making this again.
Together As Family
So happy to hear it worked in the slow cooker. Thanks for letting me know.
I think you wrote the recipe wrong. you said add broccoli and celery to pot. I think you mean carrots.. very confusing.
Together as Family
Thanks for pointing it out. I’ll fix it.
can i freeze this chowder
Together as Family
You could, personally I wouldn’t because I don’t like the texture of dairy based soups after freezing.