Vegetable Chowder is so cheesy and full of fresh veggies like broccoli, carrots, celery, potatoes, and corn! Even kids will eat this veggie-packed chowder soup recipe.
Vegetable chowder is loaded with fresh veggies like potatoes, corn, broccoli, celery, and carrots! Two "special ingredients" take this chowder over the top and make it so kid-friendly. Even kids won't have a problem eating this veggie-packed cheesy vegetable chowder recipe.
It cooks up in one pot, it's a hearty and filling meatless dinner recipe, and besides lots of chopping it's a fairly simple to make.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR VEGETABLE CHOWDER
Onion - A white or yellow onion works great!
Chicken Broth - I use one can of 33% reduced sodium chicken broth + one can of regular chicken broth. I like using one of each but if you want less salt than use two cans of reduced sodium chicken broth.
Chopped Potatoes - I prefer to use red potatoes in this recipe. I also peel the skin off but if you like the skin on then don't peel it.
Broccoli - Fresh broccoli is what you need! Chop it into small pieces.
Sliced Carrots - I use baby carrots because they are already small in size and there is no need to peel them.
Canned Corn - Do not drain the corn. Just dump the entire can into the pot.
Country Gravy Packet - Trust me on this one! It adds so much flavor, in fact it's really the only flavoring for this soup, it gives a peppery flavor and helps to thicken the soup.
Milk - I use whole milk or 2% milk for this recipe. The milk and gravy mix together to form the creamy paste for the soup.
Velveeta Cheese - I know this scares some people but don't let it. Velveeta is the perfect soup cheese because it melts perfectly smooth and it's yummy. Just try it once because the chowder is just not the same with shredded cheese. But you could of course use shredded cheese in place of the Velveeta.
TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR THIS CHOWDER RECIPE
- I know some may be questioning the use of the Velveeta and gravy packet but they make this chowder amazing. I promise. I don't use either one hardly at all. Especially the gravy packet. But in this soup, I use it every single time. If you leave out the gravy packet, you would for sure have to add some sort of seasoning as the packet is what makes the taste. Don't ask me what seasonings because I have never not used the gravy packet. Same thing with the Velveeta, you could use shredded cheese but it won't be the same.
- Cut all the veggies really small so they will soften up in the cook times listed. Try to cut everything the same size.
- For best results use whole milk or 2% milk in the recipe.
YOU WILL LOVE THESE OTHER CHEESY CHOWDER RECIPES
Instant Pot Potato Corn Chowder - Cooks in minutes in the Instant Pot. So creamy and the perfect soup to dip some bread in.
Cheesy Taco Soup - Cheesy taco soup is a kid favorite topped with all your favorite toppings. We love tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
Cheesy Taco Spaghetti Casserole - Spaghetti tex-mex cheesy casserole is always a hit at the dinner table.
Easy Clam Chowder - Make your own clam chowder at home with this comforting one pot clam chowder recipe. It's easy too!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion white or yellow onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
- 3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes I use red potatoes
- 1½ cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1½ cups chopped broccoli fresh broccoli not frozen
- 2 cans (15 oz each) corn do not drain
- 1 can (15 oz) creamed corn
- 2 cups milk whole milk or 2%
- 1 packet (2.6 oz) country style gravy
- 8-12 oz Velveeta cubed
- In a large soup pot, over medium-high heat, add butter, onion, and celery. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. * If temperature is too hot turn it down because you don't want the onions or celery burning
- Add the chicken broth and peeled & chopped potatoes to the soup pot. Bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add broccoli, celery, corn, and canned corn to the soup pot. Stir together and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and let it cook for 15 minutes. * At this point I will usually cover the pot with the lid to help everything cook faster
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, add the contents from the gravy packet and the milk. Stir with a whisk until it's mixed well.
- Once carrots & broccoli are cooked, add the milk and gravy mix, and cubed Velveeta cheese into the soup pot. Stir and let it cook for about 5-10 minutes until everything is combined and Velveeta is melted. * It's important to not let the Velveeta burn/boil once you add in. Turn down the heat of needed.
- Leftovers keep well in a covered container in the fridge for about 3 days. I heat up leftovers in the microwave but you can also heat them up in a soup pot on the stove top.