Tomato Beef Country Casserole

This tomato beef country casserole is packed with all your favorite comfort foods. Tomato, mushrooms, creamy sauce, beef, and tender egg noodles. Comes together quickly, with inexpensive ingredients, but is so delicious and comforting!

Dinnertime at our house has been a struggle lately. I write a grocery list every single week and for some reason I forgot to put at least half of that list into my grocery cart. So, two meals I didn’t even make because I did not have the ingredients (hello Papa John’s delivery 🙂 ) and then the meal that I actually had the ingredients for I ended up boiling it to death, and ruining my pot in the process. While I literally passed out asleep on the couch. This waking up at 6 am to get my oldest off to school is turning out to be too much for me. I’ll get used to it……. hopefully 🙂

Needless to say this tomato beef country casserole came at a very much needed time. Finally a homemade dinner that worked, and that everyone loved! It reminded me of my most popular recipe on the blog, which is this CREAMY BEEF NOODLE BAKE. You guys must love easy and delicious casseroles because it still is my top viewed recipe since the day I posted it.

When I made this I thought the ingredients seemed really odd. Like there was no way it would ever taste good. But, I promise, it all works. I am not a big fan of canned creamed soups, so when I post a recipe with a cream soup you know it has to be worth it. The recipe calls for golden mushroom soup which is like cream of mushroom soup but it’s a tomato based creamed mushroom soup. If you can’t find it in your grocery store then just use regular cream of mushroom soup.

Tomato Beef Country Casserole

• 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese or provolone

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Cook for the lowest recommended time because it will cook in the oven later. Drain when done cooking.
  3. While noodles are cooking, brown ground beef with the salt in a skillet over medium high heat. Drain.
  4. In a large mixing bowl combine the condensed tomato soup, golden mushroom soup, milk, onion flakes, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir together.
  5. Add the cooked ground beef and the cooked (and drained) egg noodles. Stir together.
  6. Pour into your prepared dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes.

Notes

The can of golden cream of mushroom is important to this dish. Yes, you can use regular cream of mushroom soup but the flavor of this casserole is in the golden cream of mushroom soup.

Use 2% or whole milk (I use whole) because it's thicker and has a higher fat content. The lower fat milks have more water and are thinner, which will affect the outcome of the casserole.

I used some shaved parmesan cheese but you can use provolone cheese, Italian blend shredded cheese or even mozzarella.

You can use the twisty wide egg noodles or the straight wide noodles (which is what I used in the picture).

7.6.2

Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to Pinterest ♥ ♥

Tomato Beef Country Casserole | Together as Family

recipe adapted from here

Linked up at ‘The Weekend Potluck’

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Lisa Harper says

My family loves casseroles. Will make this soon. I cook a similar dish on top of stove in huge pot..... kind of like a homemade hamburger helper. I also use golden mushroom soup when I make cubed steak.... Starts out in cast iron skillet and then finishes in oven low and slow. The steak ends up so tender you don't need a knife. Stumbled upon your webpage via a recipe newsletter I receive weekly. Will bookmark it as well as your other pages:) Thanks for being here!!
    • Together As Family says

Hi Lisa! So good to have you here :) I have actually never used golden mushroom soup before this recipe, but I do love the tomato base it has to it, and the flavor seems a lot richer. That steak dish you talked about sounds amazing. I know my husband and son would love it! Thanks for taking the time and leaving a comment.
  2. Lisa Harper says

You are welcome:) The cubed steak recipe is one my 86 year young neighbor gave me many years ago. Love using my cast iron skillet. Looking forward in cooler temps returning so to start using my crock pots:) Have a wonderful week ahead.
    • John says

Lisa , is there any way I could get the steak recipe from you? It sounds so good and I love my cast iron pan. My email is innkeeper6@gmail.com. Thank you.
  3. says

Love your recipe, Jessica - it's perfect for a busy week now that school has started back! Thanks for such a great share at Weekend Potluck!
    • Together As Family says

Hi Mary! Thank you so much. That is sweet of you. Thanks for hosting the Weekend Potluck. It's my favorite link party :) Have a great week.
  4. Dana says

I made this for dinner tonight. It looked great in the pan. It tasted just ok. The Worcestershire sauce, in my opinion, gives it a funny, almost sour taste. I served it with corn along side, and my family stirred their corn into the casserole, saying they preferred the taste that way....a little savory and a little sweet with the corn. It definitely needed some texture. If I made this again, i would omit the Worcestershire sauce altogether, and stir in corn before baking. Also, I think I would omit the tomato soup and use two cans of the golden mushroom soup. I had never tried that before, and it has really good flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    • Together As Family says

Hi Dana! I love the idea of corn added to this dish. Great addition. I agree, the golden mushroom does have great flavor to it (I had never used it before either) so using two cans would work well I think. So sorry you did not care for the Worcestershire sauce. Thank you for coming back and leaving your feedback :) Have a great week!
      • Chris says

When I first saw the recipe, I thought about what a can of corn would do. Plan to try it with the corn. It adds just the right "thing" to so many dishes like chili and casseroles and extends the meal
    • Together As Family says

Hi kellie! You are so welcome and I am happy to hear you loved it. We love it here at my house too. Thanks so much for coming back to leave your comment :)
  5. Amanda says

It looks good, but my husband is allergic to mushrooms, Could I substitute something in place of the cream of mushroom. Most of the time I use cream of celery or onion.
    • Together As Family says

Hi Amanda. I think it would be just fine to use cream of celery or any other creamed soup. I have only used the golden mushroom soup so i don't know how the taste would be affected with the other kind of creamed soup. Let me know if you try it :)
  6. says

Made this casserole for dinner today. All I can say is YUM. So easy to make and the outcome is delicious! Definitely a keeper. Thank you for sharing!!
    • Together As Family says

Hi Michele. I love how easy this is too. One of my go-to meals for sure. Thank you so much for coming back to leave your comment. It means so much to me :)
  7. Julie Puckett says

I made this recipe and it was very, very good...I wouldn't change a thing, the Worcestershire sauce adds a depth of flavor, but that sauce makes any dish taste wonderful..Thanks for the good recipe...
    • Together As Family says

Hi Julie. I am so happy you loved it. I agree about the Worcestershire sauce, it does add so much flavor. That sauce is tricky cause too much is way over powering but I too love it in this casserole. Thanks so much for coming back to leave your comment. It means so much to me. Have a great weekend!
  8. Carrie Wade from Tempe, AZ says

Made this casserole tonight - so easy! So delicious! The only change I made was to serve it with a dollop of sour cream on top. Served with garlic toast and my husband and I both loved it. Will definitely make again. After 35 years of marriage, you can get into a rut of making the same things over and over. Thank you so much for this easy and delicious recipe! Regards, Carrie
    • Together As Family says

Hi Carrie! I'm so glad you and your husband loved it. I might use your idea of sour cream on top. That sounds delicious.I know what you mean about getting into a rut. I am 10 years in and already get into dinner idea ruts :) Thanks so much for leaving your comment.
    • Together As Family says

Hi Ali! I love that you used provolone on top. Yummy. That's one thing I love about this recipe is how versatile it is :) Thanks so much for leaving your comment.
    • Together As Family says

You don't have to but I prefer it because otherwise some of the noodles (on the sides) will harden during the baking time. It's totally up to you though :)
    • Together As Family says

Sorry to hear that! This casserole is easily customized so you could add whatever seasonings you want, or some chopped onion & garlic. We love it as is, but I know everyone's tastes are different. Thanks for returning to leave your feedback :)
  9. Tom says

Don't have the golden mushroom soup but do have cream of mushroom. Assuming it would be ok to make that substitution? Aware there may be a slight taste difference. Would that be only difference with this substitution or do I also need to add/remove something else?
    • Together As Family says

You could use cream of mushroom. The only difference is that the Golden Mushroom Soup has a tomato taste to it. They are essentially the same thing just a slightly different taste. You would not have to add/remove anything else. I hope you love it :)
  10. Lexi says

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Super quick and easy, inexpensive and filling. Will definitely make this many more times in the future!! Thank you very much for sharing this recipe.
    • Together As Family says

Hi Lexi! So glad you loved this. It's a favorite of my family. You're welcome for the recipe and thanks so much for coming back to let me know :)
  11. Debra says

A great recipe! I'm allergic to mushrooms so I used cream of onion soup. Added a tsp of Italian seasoning and skipped the cheese. I love recipes that allow you to make as written or try your own twist on things. Thanks for sharing!
    • Together As Family says

I love your changes. I didn't even know they make cream of onion soup! That actually sounds like it would be really yummy in this casserole. Thanks for sharing your changes. I always love those adaptable recipes :)
    • Together As Family says

Hi Diane! So sorry to hear you did not like this. My family loves it but I know everyone has different tastes :) Thanks so much for leaving your comment to let me know. Have a great day.
  12. Jane says

Made this tonight. It's similar to a casserole my mom used to make with breakfast sausage tomato soup and cheddar cheese. This was very good (I doctored it up a bit) but I prefer the breakfast sausage and will use that next time. I also added sautéed mushrooms and really liked the flavor of the golden mushroom soup! Love to try new recipes!
    • Together As Family says

Breakfast sausage sounds yummy in this! I too love the golden mushroom soup. I had never tried it before making this but the flavor is really good. Thanks for coming back to let me know! Glad you enjoyed it and were able to put your own additions into the recipe.
    • Together As Family says

It makes a 9x13 baking dish so I would say it would serve 6 adult sized portions. In my family we have 4 kids (only 3 that eat) and then my husband and I. When I make this there are leftovers and enough to fill us all. 6 adult servings comfortably but if you serve it with sides you could probably get 8 adult servings. I hope that helps. Enjoy :)
    • Together As Family says

haha, yes feeding 6 does get tough. I know what you mean :) I hope you all love it. Thanks for stopping by.
  13. Mary Schneider says

My family really enjoyed this dish!!! It was incredibly easy to put together! I ended up using fresh onions and garlic because I forgot to buy the flakes and powder. Other than that little change I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious! My picky eaters even asked for seconds, which is pretty rare! I can't wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Thank you for an easy to prepare and very tasty meal!
    • Together As Family says

Yummy, fresh onion and garlic is a great substitution! So glad you all enjoyed this. My kids ask for seconds too when I make this :)
  14. Heather says

Okay I tried this tonight and my picky picky kids DEVOURED IT!!!!!! No complaints, it was a miracle!!!! I did however make a few adjustments since my husband will not touch a mushroom with a ten foot pole. I browned my beef with a minced onion, and three cloves of garlic. That's right, three. We love our garlic, don't judge. I then found, wait for it... cream of bacon soup. Bacon people!! Cream of bacon friggen soup, was not even aware that was a thing. What a thing indeed! So in short I substituted golden mushroom soup for cream of bacon and the result was nothing short of Devine. Deeevine. I finished with shredded provolone on top and my kids requested I pack the left overs in their lunch for tomorrow. What?! They want left overs for lunch?! Unfreaking heard of! You girl, are my hero. This was a win! Thank you!
    • Together As Family says

Your comment seriously made my night! haha :) Cream of bacon, wow! I want to live near your grocery store. I've never seen that but I will for sure keep my out for it now! I love garlic too so 3 cloves sounds just perfect to me. So glad you all enjoyed this. And even more happy that your kids ate it! That's always a mom win when kids eat happily.
  15. says

I made this tonight for dinner. It was wonderful! I couldn't find the golden mushroom soup but using the regular mushroom soup worked fine. I did not cover when baking and I thought it gave a nice subtle crust on the top. This one is a winner! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    • Together As Family says

You're welcome! The crust on top sounds delicious. I might try not covering it from now on too. Regular cream of mushroom will work too. I can only find the golden mushroom soup at one store where I live. I guess most stores don't carry it.
  16. Lindsy says

My family loves this casserole! I add a bit of taco seasoning and some shredded cheddar - delicious! Thank you!
  17. Cara says

Hi! I found your blog a couple weeks ago and saw the tomato beef country casserole recipe. I thought it sounded something my whole family would like. I have 4 kids plus my husband. I finally made it tonight but forgot to get worcestshire sauce. I just added extra seasoning. Everyone loved it.... including my 16 y.o. who informed as I was in the process of making it, that she didn't really like casseroles. She took the biggest helping of it when it was done. 😁 I added green beans to the mixture so I had the protein, veggies and carbs all in one dish. We all enjoyed this recipe and it will definitely become a regular meal in my house. Although, it was great without the Worcestershire sauce, I will add it the next time just to taste the difference.
  18. Together As Family says

I love hearing things like this! Green beans sound like a delicious addition to this. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know and leave your comment :)

Trackbacks