Tomato Beef Country Casserole

This tomato beef country casserole is packed with all your favorite comfort foods. Tomato, mushrooms, creamy sauce, beef, and tender egg noodles. Comes together quickly, with inexpensive ingredients, but is so delicious and comforting!

Dinnertime at our house has been a struggle lately. I write a grocery list every single week and for some reason I forgot to put at least half of that list into my grocery cart. So, two meals I didn’t even make because I did not have the ingredients (hello Papa John’s delivery 🙂 ) and then the meal that I actually had the ingredients for I ended up boiling it to death, and ruining my pot in the process. While I literally passed out asleep on the couch. This waking up at 6 am to get my oldest off to school is turning out to be too much for me. I’ll get used to it……. hopefully 🙂

Needless to say this tomato beef country casserole came at a very much needed time. Finally a homemade dinner that worked, and that everyone loved! It reminded me of my most popular recipe on the blog, which is this CREAMY BEEF NOODLE BAKE. You guys must love easy and delicious casseroles because it still is my top viewed recipe since the day I posted it.

When I made this I thought the ingredients seemed really odd. Like there was no way it would ever taste good. But, I promise, it all works. I am not a big fan of canned creamed soups, so when I post a recipe with a cream soup you know it has to be worth it. The recipe calls for golden mushroom soup which is like cream of mushroom soup but it’s a tomato based creamed mushroom soup. If you can’t find it in your grocery store then just use regular cream of mushroom soup.

Tomato Beef Country Casserole

• 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese or provolone

Instructions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Cook for the lowest recommended time because it will cook in the oven later. Drain when done cooking.
  3. While noodles are cooking, brown ground beef with the salt in a skillet over medium high heat. Drain.
  4. In a large mixing bowl combine the condensed tomato soup, golden mushroom soup, milk, onion flakes, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir together.
  5. Add the cooked ground beef and the cooked (and drained) egg noodles. Stir together.
  6. Pour into your prepared dish and sprinkle the cheese on top.
  7. Bake for 25 minutes.

Notes

The can of golden cream of mushroom is important to this dish. Yes, you can use regular cream of mushroom soup but the flavor of this casserole is in the golden cream of mushroom soup.

Use 2% or whole milk (I use whole) because it's thicker and has a higher fat content. The lower fat milks have more water and are thinner, which will affect the outcome of the casserole.

I used some shaved parmesan cheese but you can use provolone cheese, Italian blend shredded cheese or even mozzarella.

You can use the twisty wide egg noodles or the straight wide noodles (which is what I used in the picture).

6.6.15

Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to Pinterest ♥ ♥

Tomato Beef Country Casserole | Together as Family

recipe adapted from here

Linked up at ‘The Weekend Potluck’

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Lisa Harper says

My family loves casseroles. Will make this soon. I cook a similar dish on top of stove in huge pot….. kind of like a homemade hamburger helper. I also use golden mushroom soup when I make cubed steak…. Starts out in cast iron skillet and then finishes in oven low and slow. The steak ends up so tender you don’t need a knife. Stumbled upon your webpage via a recipe newsletter I receive weekly. Will bookmark it as well as your other pages:) Thanks for being here!!

• Together As Family says

Hi Lisa! So good to have you here 🙂 I have actually never used golden mushroom soup before this recipe, but I do love the tomato base it has to it, and the flavor seems a lot richer. That steak dish you talked about sounds amazing. I know my husband and son would love it! Thanks for taking the time and leaving a comment.

2. Lisa Harper says

You are welcome:) The cubed steak recipe is one my 86 year young neighbor gave me many years ago. Love using my cast iron skillet. Looking forward in cooler temps returning so to start using my crock pots:) Have a wonderful week ahead.

3. says

Love your recipe, Jessica – it’s perfect for a busy week now that school has started back! Thanks for such a great share at Weekend Potluck!

• Together As Family says

Hi Mary! Thank you so much. That is sweet of you. Thanks for hosting the Weekend Potluck. It’s my favorite link party 🙂 Have a great week.

4. Dana says

I made this for dinner tonight. It looked great in the pan. It tasted just ok. The Worcestershire sauce, in my opinion, gives it a funny, almost sour taste. I served it with corn along side, and my family stirred their corn into the casserole, saying they preferred the taste that way….a little savory and a little sweet with the corn. It definitely needed some texture. If I made this again, i would omit the Worcestershire sauce altogether, and stir in corn before baking. Also, I think I would omit the tomato soup and use two cans of the golden mushroom soup. I had never tried that before, and it has really good flavor. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Together As Family says

Hi Dana! I love the idea of corn added to this dish. Great addition. I agree, the golden mushroom does have great flavor to it (I had never used it before either) so using two cans would work well I think. So sorry you did not care for the Worcestershire sauce. Thank you for coming back and leaving your feedback 🙂 Have a great week!

• Chris says

When I first saw the recipe, I thought about what a can of corn would do. Plan to try it with the corn. It adds just the right “thing” to so many dishes like chili and casseroles and extends the meal

• Together As Family says

Hi kellie! You are so welcome and I am happy to hear you loved it. We love it here at my house too. Thanks so much for coming back to leave your comment 🙂

5. Amanda says

It looks good, but my husband is allergic to mushrooms, Could I substitute something in place of the cream of mushroom. Most of the time I use cream of celery or onion.

• Together As Family says

Hi Amanda. I think it would be just fine to use cream of celery or any other creamed soup. I have only used the golden mushroom soup so i don’t know how the taste would be affected with the other kind of creamed soup. Let me know if you try it 🙂

6. says

Made this casserole for dinner today. All I can say is YUM. So easy to make and the outcome is delicious! Definitely a keeper. Thank you for sharing!!

• Together As Family says

Hi Michele. I love how easy this is too. One of my go-to meals for sure. Thank you so much for coming back to leave your comment. It means so much to me 🙂

7. Julie Puckett says

I made this recipe and it was very, very good…I wouldn’t change a thing, the Worcestershire sauce adds a depth of flavor, but that sauce makes any dish taste wonderful..Thanks for the good recipe…

• Together As Family says

Hi Julie. I am so happy you loved it. I agree about the Worcestershire sauce, it does add so much flavor. That sauce is tricky cause too much is way over powering but I too love it in this casserole. Thanks so much for coming back to leave your comment. It means so much to me. Have a great weekend!

8. Carrie Wade from Tempe, AZ says

Made this casserole tonight – so easy! So delicious! The only change I made was to serve it with a dollop of sour cream on top. Served with garlic toast and my husband and I both loved it. Will definitely make again. After 35 years of marriage, you can get into a rut of making the same things over and over. Thank you so much for this easy and delicious recipe!

Regards,

Carrie

• Together As Family says

Hi Carrie! I’m so glad you and your husband loved it. I might use your idea of sour cream on top. That sounds delicious.I know what you mean about getting into a rut. I am 10 years in and already get into dinner idea ruts 🙂 Thanks so much for leaving your comment.

• Together As Family says

Hi Ali! I love that you used provolone on top. Yummy. That’s one thing I love about this recipe is how versatile it is 🙂 Thanks so much for leaving your comment.

• Together As Family says

You don’t have to but I prefer it because otherwise some of the noodles (on the sides) will harden during the baking time. It’s totally up to you though 🙂

• Together As Family says

Sorry to hear that! This casserole is easily customized so you could add whatever seasonings you want, or some chopped onion & garlic. We love it as is, but I know everyone’s tastes are different. Thanks for returning to leave your feedback 🙂

9. Tom says

Don’t have the golden mushroom soup but do have cream of mushroom. Assuming it would be ok to make that substitution? Aware there may be a slight taste difference. Would that be only difference with this substitution or do I also need to add/remove something else?

• Together As Family says

You could use cream of mushroom. The only difference is that the Golden Mushroom Soup has a tomato taste to it. They are essentially the same thing just a slightly different taste. You would not have to add/remove anything else. I hope you love it 🙂

10. Lexi says

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Super quick and easy, inexpensive and filling. Will definitely make this many more times in the future!! Thank you very much for sharing this recipe.

• Together As Family says

Hi Lexi! So glad you loved this. It’s a favorite of my family. You’re welcome for the recipe and thanks so much for coming back to let me know 🙂

11. Debra says

A great recipe! I’m allergic to mushrooms so I used cream of onion soup. Added a tsp of Italian seasoning and skipped the cheese. I love recipes that allow you to make as written or try your own twist on things. Thanks for sharing!

• Together As Family says

I love your changes. I didn’t even know they make cream of onion soup! That actually sounds like it would be really yummy in this casserole. Thanks for sharing your changes. I always love those adaptable recipes 🙂

• Together As Family says

Hi Diane! So sorry to hear you did not like this. My family loves it but I know everyone has different tastes 🙂 Thanks so much for leaving your comment to let me know. Have a great day.

Trackbacks