Chicken Pot Pie casserole is the ultimate comfort food! Vegetables and chicken simmer in a cream cheese chicken broth, and then it’s topped with flaky buttermilk biscuits. Creamy, warm, comforting, and down home goodness in one casserole pan.
CHICKEN POT PIE
I saw a meme the other day that said ‘I refuse to go outside until the temperature is above my age!” I thought it was hilarious and so true.
Whenever it’s cold outside, which it has been for like two months straight here in Utah, I always crave something creamy and warm.
I knew it was the perfect time to share my easy, creamy, comforting version of a chicken pot pie casserole. If there is one dish I crave, it’s chicken pot pie.
But I’m not a fan of the traditional version where it’s inside a pie crust. That’s the reason I love this casserole. It bakes up in one pan and it’s topped off with those refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE WITH BISCUITS
It takes a bit of prep work to cut all the veggies and then you sauté them in some butter. Add flour to thicken it up, chicken broth, and the best ingredient ever….. cream cheese. I love cooking with cream cheese. It’s so rich and creamy and really turns this into the ultimate comfort food.
Dump that into a casserole baking dish and then top with the biscuits. You first will have to cut each biscuit circle into 6 smaller pieces. That way they will cook all the way through during the cook time.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Be sure that you cut your vegetables into small pieces otherwise it will take forever for them to soften up while sautéing in the butter. You also want to make sure that they are all roughly the same size so they cook up nice and even.
- I always use a rotisserie chicken from Sam’s Club or Costco. I love that they are convenient, already cooked and seasoned, and inexpensive.
- You can use leftover chicken, shredded or chunked, or put some chicken in the slow cooker in the morning with a can of chicken broth. Or bake it in the oven with some salt and pepper.
- Please use full-fat cream cheese. Anything less than that will not yield that smooth and creamy texture. It makes a BIG difference.
TRY THESE OTHER CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPES
- Chicken Pot Pie Tater Tot Casserole
- Smoked Sausage & Chicken Creole Pot Pie
- Individual Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 white or yellow onion (finely diced)
- 3 yukon gold potatoes (peeled and chopped small)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (minced, pressed, or use garlic paste)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese (cubed)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded or chunked chicken (I use a rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 tube (8 biscuits) flaky buttermilk bisucits
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes, salt & pepper. Sauté for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add flour, chicken broth, and cream cheese. Stir and let cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until everything is combined and cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken and peas and mix to combine. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Cut each biscuit (8 biscuits total) into 6 smaller pieces. I cut the biscuit in half and then cut each half into 3 pieces. Lay the cut biscuits on top of the creamy pot pie mixture.
- Brush melted butter over the biscuits and sprinkle with the parmesan cheese.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are cooked through and golden brown on top.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST