CHICKEN ENCHILADA RICE CASSEROLE
Chicken casseroles like this chicken enchilada rice casserole and this fiesta chicken casserole are always a hit at the dinner table.
This casserole recipe is layered with rice, black beans, a creamy chicken mixture with olives, tomatoes, sour cream, green enchilada sauce, spices, and then topped with lots of cheese.
It's the perfect way to use up leftover chicken and leftover rice if you have it. I always make a batch of my cilantro lime rice for this recipe.
CHICKEN CASSEROLE RECIPE WITH RICE
Cooked Rice - This is a great recipe to use up leftover rice that you have. You can also make a batch of cilantro lime rice (this is what I do). Or use some minute rice, use the microwave pouches you can find at the store, or cook up some long-grain white rice in chicken broth or water according to package directions.
Cooked Chicken - A great way to use up leftover chicken or get a Rotisserie chicken and make it really easy on yourself.
Green Enchilada Sauce
Petite Diced Tomatoes
Black Olives - If you can't find the chopped black olives just get a can of sliced olives and chop them up yourself. Or leave them in the larger slices if that's what you prefer.
Garlic Powder, Chili Powder, Cumin, Salt
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Using a rotisserie chicken makes this recipe so easy to make! You can also use any leftover cooked chicken as well.
- Look at the recipe notes for ways to make this casserole spicier. The recipe as is, is not spicy, and even my kids eat it but it's definitely so simple to raise the heat level if that's what you prefer.
- Use any kind of cheese you want. I always buy a big block of Colby-Jack cheese from Costco so that's what I use.
- Feel free to substitute the black beans with pinto beans or whatever bean you prefer.
TRY THESE OTHER CASSEROLE RECIPES
- creamy beef noodle bake
- easy taco casserole
- chicken pot pie casserole with biscuits
- cheesy taco spaghetti casserole
- cheeseburger casserole
- pepperoni pizza biscuit casserole
- ham & broccoli rice casserole
Chicken Enchilada Rice Casserole
- 3 cups cooked rice (see notes)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans drained & rinsed
- 3 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes lightly drained
- 1 can (4.25 oz) chopped black olives drained
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer the cooked rice on the bottom of the baking dish. Top with the black beans.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, black olives, sour cream, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Stir together until combined well.
- Layer the creamy chicken mixture on top of the black beans. Evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with toppings such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced avocado OR my kids really like to scoop it up with the tortilla chips.