Chicken Enchilada Soup made in the slow cooker with chicken, black beans, corn, and simmers in a seasoned green chili chicken broth. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado, and chips.
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Over the weekend I had some enchilada soup at a restaurant and it was so spicy. Like so spicy that you could not taste anything else! I love some heat and spice, but not that overwhelming heat.
I couldn't stop thinking about it and knew that I wanted to make my own at home. Because lets be honest, I crave soup at the first signs of fall.
I love this chicken enchilada soup recipe because it's made in the slow cooker. Dump a few ingredients, add some chicken, and seasonings and walk away.
My favorite part about any soup are all the toppings. Be sure and load this one up with sour cream, avocado slices, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
You could always just eat the soup plain but trust me when I say that it's SO much better with all the garnishes.
So much flavor but not that super hot & spicy flavor. It's loaded with tender chunks of chicken (I LOVE what the crock pot does to chicken!) that fall apart at the touch of a fork. Black beans, frozen corn, chicken broth, seasonings, and a large can of green enchilada sauce.
Be sure that you use a green enchilada sauce that you love the flavor of. I swear by the Las Palmas brand green chili enchilada sauce. I feel like the Old El Paso brand of enchilada is somewhat spicy, which makes it unpleasant for kids.
If you want to heat yours up, simply add some sliced jalapenos as garnish on top of your soup, or add some cayenne pepper into the slow cooker with the other seasonings.
How to make Chicken Enchilada Soup in the slow cooker
Combine the seasonings into a small bowl and set aside.
Add the large can of green enchilada sauce and the can of chicken broth into the slow cooker.
Dump in the bag of frozen corn and 2 cans of black beans that have been drained and rinsed.
Take half of your seasoning mix from earlier and rub it on both sides of each chicken breast. Take the other half of seasoning mix and dump it into the slow cooker.
Stir the contents of the slow cooker until mixed, and then put the seasoned chicken breasts inside. Cover with the lid and cook on low.
Tips for making Chicken Enchilada Soup
I have found that it is best to cook soup in the slow cooker on LOW heat. Low and slow is the key to a good crock pot meal. Be sure that you set aside time in the morning to add it all into the slow cooker.
This soup does really well on the warm setting, if you have one on your slow cooker. That way if you're not home when it's done, it will stay nice and warm until you can shred up the chicken and then serve it.
Be sure and prepare some toppings as garnish when you serve this soup. It really does take this soup to a new world.... in taste 🙂 Our favorites are definitely some sour cream, shredded cheese, and avocado slices.
If your chicken breasts are really large then you will probably only need 3 of them. Aim for about 1 ½ lbs of chicken.
Try these other soup recipes
- Veggie Loaded Taco Chili
- Slow Cooker Santa Fe Chili
- Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 can (28 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 2 cans (15 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen yellow corn
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- sour cream
- avocado slices
- shredded cheese
- corn tortilla chips
- Add the chicken broth, green enchilda sauce, black beans, and frozen corn into the slow cooker. Stir.
- Mix together the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle half of the seasoning mix onto both sides of each chicken breast.
- Dump the other half of the seasoning mix into the slow cooker and stir together. Place the seasoned chicken breasts into the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours. When cook time is done, take chicken out and shred with two forks and add back into the soup.
- Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, avocado slices, and tortilla chips.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST
28 oz green enchilada sauce
1 can chicken broth
16 oz frozen corn
2 cans black beans
1 ½ teaspoons cumin and garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder and onion powder
½-1 teaspoon salt