Skip the tortilla but still get all your favorite burrito fillings with these honey cilantro lime grilled chicken rice bowls! Cilantro lime rice topped with fiesta avocado salsa, cheese, grilled honey lime chicken, and drizzled with creamy salsa verde sauce. These are so unbelievably good.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! It’s pretty much expected that you have to eat tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or some other sort of Mexican food today. For that reason alone, I love this day!
Although, last year we ate dinner at the Sam’s Club food court for dinner on Cinco de Mayo. The only reason I remember this is because my husband and I were laughing as we sat and ate our pizza slices as big as our heads about how we were not eating tacos. We should have been eating tacos 🙂
Today I will redeem myself. Maybe. Or maybe I will just give up by the end of the day and get my kids Happy Meals from McDonalds. Who knows?! I am one of those moms that has a big dinner planned and by the time 4:00 comes around and it’s time to start making dinner, things just fall apart. It’s nights like this that my husband gets a call as he’s driving home from work asking him to stop and get something.
I may be a food blogger but trust me, that does not mean every single night I make some super duper fancy and delicious dinner. Which is why I was pretty darn proud of myself when I made these honey & cilantro lime grilled chicken rice bowls for dinner. Holy moly they were delicious! And I managed to make them and get dinner on the table despite it being a rough and stressful day.
This is deceptively easy to make too. Add a few ingredients into a Ziploc bag and add your chicken. Let that marinate for about 3-4 hours or even overnight if that makes it easier. You can also make the creamy salsa verde dressing the night before too.
Before serving, mix up the avocado salsa and make the cilantro lime rice and then serve these delicious rice bowls for dinner.
The grilled chicken is perfection! Fire up the grill for this one and the chicken can be done in about 10-15 minutes. I love the char of the grill marks! The chicken is sweet from the honey and brown sugar and has plenty of flavor thanks to the olive oil, lime, and cilantro.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you love these burrito rice bowls as much as we do!
Skip the tortilla but still get all your favorite burrito fillings with these and honey cilantro lime grilled chicken rice bowls! Cilantro lime rice topped with fiesta avocado salsa, cheese, grilled honey lime chicken, and drizzled with creamy salsa verde sauce.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (trimmed)
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet (1oz) Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix (DO NOT prepare)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 recipe cilantro lime rice
- shredded cheese and/or lettuce for serving
- ** Prepare the creamy salsa verde the night before or morning of. Let refrigerate for several hour so it has time to thicken slightly **
- For the creamy salsa verde dressing combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until mixed and smooth. Store in fridge for several hours.
- ** Marinate the chicken overnight or for 3-4 hours**
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Add chicken breasts and let marinate in the fridge for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- To make the fiesta avocado salsa combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together until combined. Can be served right away or refrigerate for about 1-2 hours before serving. The avocado will not brown for at least a day thanks to the red onion and citrus juices.
- When ready to serve, grill the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side or until up to temperature (165 degrees).
- To serve: pile a bowl with cilantro lime rice, or rice of choice, top with some fiesta avocado salsa, a piece of sliced grilled chicken breast, shredded cheese, and drizzle with the creamy salsa verde dressing.
These are not as hard as it may appear. I always make the creamy dressing the night before and let it hang out in the fridge. One thing done! I prepare the chicken and marinade in the morning and let that hang out in the fridge all day. The rice takes about 20 minutes to make, so while the rice is cooking I prepare the fiesta avocado salsa and let that refrigerate while I grill the chicken up.
Each thing uses a lot of the same ingredients. Get yourself a few limes and 2 bunches of cilantro and start cooking!
Feel free to use whatever rice that you love. 1 minute microwave pouches, brown rice, regular white rice, Mexican rice, etc.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST