There are some recipes on this blog of mine that never really get the attention they deserve. Like these baked honey lime chicken taquitos. Which is why I just had to bring these from the depths of the recipe archives and share them again.
They’re sweet + spicy (slightly), creamy, and so crispy you’d think they were deep fried. But these are baked!
Mix up a super easy 4 ingredient dipping sauce and you pretty much have the best dinner ever.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY LIME CHICKEN TAQUITOS
- Combine the softened cream cheese with the lime juice, honey, and all the seasonings. Give it a good stir to mix it all together.
- Add in the shredded chicken, cheese, and cilantro. Mix together.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the mixture onto a tortilla and spread it out. Roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down on a cookie sheet. Repeat with all the tortillas.
- Spray the tops with cooking spray. Don’t soak them, rather give it a light spray and then sprinkle some salt on top if wanted. I love using kosher salt for this.
- Bake until browned and crispy!
I love the combination of the sweet honey and the chili powder. The honey comes through nicely which makes these basically the best kid-approved food ever.
I don’t know about your kids but I know that mine will basically eat anything, and I mean ANYTHING, if it tastes sweet!
Plus, you can use your hands to eat these and dip it into the sauce so that also makes if very kid-friendly too. My kids gobble these up and they are one of those dinners that I can count on them eating with no complaints.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- The secret to getting the taquitos really crispy (like deep fried taquitos) is to spray them before you put the tray in the oven. This makes them so crispy and browned while in the oven.
- When you put the taquitos on the cookie sheet do not have them touching. If they are, all sides won’t get nice and crisp.
- If you don’t want to make the dipping sauce you could serve these alongside some sour cream, guacamole, or even salsa.
- I normally cook the chicken breasts + a can of chicken broth in the slow cooker for about 6 hours. Shred it up and then use it in these taquitos. You could also use leftover chicken or even Rotisserie chicken.
- Use any kind of shredded cheese you want.
- I buy the smallest tortillas (6″ I think). You can use any size you want but if you want more taquitos go for the smaller tortillas.
The cherry on top is this easy 4-ingredient dipping sauce to go along with the taquitos.
My tip is to make this in the morning and let it sit in the fridge all day. I prefer it cold anyways and it tends to thicken up slightly while sitting in the fridge.
Put these on your menu plan. I promise they won’t disappoint! Come back and let me know what you think. If you love that honey + lime combo then be sure and try out these oven baked honey lime crispy tacos or this honey lime cilantro marinated grilled chicken.
Whenever I make these for dinner my cilantro lime rice is a must! I love drizzling some of the salsa verde sauce on the rice. Yum!
Baked Honey Lime Chicken Taquitos
honey lime chicken taquitos
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheese any kind you want
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 20 small flour tortillas the small 6" size
creamy salsa verde dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup green salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- handful of chopped cilantro
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large cookie sheet with tin foil sprayed lightly with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper.
- Put cream cheese in a large bowl and microwave for 20 seconds to soften. Mix in the honey, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Stir. Add in the chicken, cheese, and cilantro. Stir together until combined.
- Warm up tortillas to get them soft (they will be easier to work with). Place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down on the cookie sheet. Repeat until chicken is gone.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray (this gets them golden brown and crispy). If desired, take a pinch of kosher salt and sprinkle over the taquitos. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- For the sauce: Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until combined and creamy.