Banana muffins with a sweet Nutella swirl on top! The perfect banana muffin recipe with Nutella. A great after school snack and a delicious way to use up those ripe brown bananas.
NUTELLA BANANA MUFFINS
My pantry started smelling like very overripe bananas so I knew it was time to make something with them 🙂
Ripe bananas in my house seem to be a pantry staple just like flour and sugar. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Depends on how you look at it, haha!
These banana muffins with a Nutella swirl are always a hit.
Soft, moist banana muffin with a Nutella swirl on top.
After eating one or two of these muffins, I realized that Nutella + banana is kind of a forgotten combo. But it’s seriously delicious and you must try it.
HOW TO MAKE NUTELLA SWIRL BANANA MUFFINS
- Use a mixing bowl and handheld blender, or a stand mixer, and beat together sugar and butter.
- The above mixture will seem dry and crumbly at first, but after a few minutes of beating it, you’ll see it start to soften a bit and come together. That’s what you want. So be sure to mix it for at least 1 minute.
- Add in 2 eggs, vanilla extract, milk, and mashed bananas.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix together on low speed just until combined. Try not to overmix it.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full with banana muffin batter. Place a dollop (about 1 teaspoon) of Nutella on top of the batter. Use a toothpick to swirl the Nutella into the muffin.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- The most important tip is to not swirl the Nutella too much. You don’t want to swirl it down into the muffin. You want the swirl to stay on top of the muffin so you can see it. Swirl it lightly around the top of the banana muffin batter.
- If you want more of a layered Nutella banana muffin, you could divide the batter in half and add the Nutella into one half. Then alternate banana muffin batter and the Nutella batter into the muffin cups.
- I have never made this as a bread but I am sure it would work just fine. The bake time would be much longer, probably about 50-60 minutes.
- It’s best to use muffin liners so the sides don’t burn too badly and stick to the muffin tins.
TRY THESE OTHER BANANA MUFFIN RECIPES
- Cinnamon Banana Bread Muffins
- Greek Yogurt Banana Muffins
- Banana Bread Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting
Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-muffin pan with liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, milk, and mashed bananas. Beat together until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend on low speed just until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with the banana muffin batter. Dollop (about a teaspoon) of Nutella on top of the batter in each muffin cup. Take a toothpick and gently (don't swirl deep into the muffin) swirl the Nutella into the top of the banana muffin. You should be able to see the swirl pattern on top of the muffin.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes. Muffins should be slightly rounded and the top center of the muffin should look done, and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean, with no wet batter.
- Let cool in the muffin pan for about 10 minutes. Remove the cooked muffins to a cooling rack to cool completely or eat one warm!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO PINTEREST
recipe adapted from Somewhat Simple