Peeps Rice Krispy Treats are the cutest & most festive dessert to make for Easter! Gooey marshmallow Krispy treats decorated with almond bark, Easter sprinkles, jelly beans, and peeps easter bunny marshmallows.
Peeps Rice Krispy Treats Recipe
These Easter rice krispy treats with Peeps bunnies are so colorful and the perfect way to get your kids involved and celebrate Easter!
Gooey marshmallow treats topped with a chocolate drizzle, and decorated cute for Easter with sprinkles, jelly beans, and of course some Peeps bunnies.
Ingredients You'll Need
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this recipe
- Butter - You can use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe. I use salted butter but using unsalted butter in rice krispy treats is pretty common.
- Mini Marshmallows - This recipe calls for 15 cups of them!
- Vanilla Extract
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Almond Bark or Melting Wafers - To drizzle on top.
- Jelly Beans
- Peeps Bunnies - You need 12 of these to top off the krispies with.
How to Make Easter Rice Krispy Treats
With only a couple easy steps, it's simple to make these cute Easter treats. Be sure and scroll to the bottom of the post, to the recipe card, for the full recipe and instructions.
Step One : Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by lining with parchment paper or you can lightly spray with cooking spray.
Step Two : In a large pot, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows, and cook until completely melted and smooth. Make sure to stir frequently to avoid the marshmallows burning.
Step Three : Add in the vanilla extract and half of the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir well to combine. Add the other half of the cereal and stir until everything is mixed well and coated.
Step Four : Dump the krispy treat mixture into the prepared pan and gently press it out evenly in the pan. Be sure to not press hard or too firm, as that can cause the treats to be dry.
Step Five : Time to decorate! Melt the almond bark or melting wafers according to package directions. Use a spoon to drizzle it over the treats. Add some sprinkles. Add the 12 Peeps bunnies. And finish off with gently pressing jelly beans into the melted chocolate areas. Let treats sit at room temperature to firm up and set together. Cut into squares and eat!
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my helpful tips that will hopefully make this recipe a hit for your own family!
- Low & Slow : This is so important! Don't try to rush melting the marshmallows or else you will end up with a burnt and not smooth mixture. Be patient and melt the marshmallows over low-medium heat and take your time. Don't increase the heat just to try and speed up the process. It won't work.
- Don't Press Hard : To avoid ending up with dry and tough rice Krispy treats be sure you are gently pressing the mixture into the pan. No need to squish down hard. Just gently use your fingers and press the marshmallow krispy treats into the pan.
- Cooking Spray : Rice Krispies treats are naturally going to be sticky because of the melted marshmallows. To help spread the mixture into the pan, spray your fingertips with cooking spray.
- Chocolate Drizzle : Use white vanilla almond bark, white melting wafers form the Ghiradelli brand (found in the baking aisle), or use the Wilton Candy Melts. The candy melts come in all sorts of colors so you can even use pink, purple, or any other color you want.
- Measure Out Cereal Ahead of Time : Measure out the 12 cups of cereal needed before starting. The melted marshmallow + butter mixture should not sit for too long while you try to measure out the cereal to pour in. Have it ready so you can immediately mix it in.
Peeps Rice Krispy Treats FAQs
- How To Store Leftovers
- Store leftovers in an air-tight container, or Ziploc bag, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Can I Make Rice Krispy Treats Ahead of Time?
- Yes you can! I would suggest only making them a few hours ahead of time, or the morning of, to avoid the treats from drying out too much. Rice Krispies are definitely better eaten when they're made.
- If you need to make this recipe ahead of time, simply cover the pan of krispy treats, tightly with plastic wrap or tin foil and let them sit at room temperature until you're ready to serve them.
- Can I Use Different Decorations?
- Yes, of course! Feel free to use any sprinkles you want, any small Easter candy similar to jelly beans (or just leave them off), and you can even use Peeps chicks instead of the bunnies. You can even make it as simple as the chocolate drizzle + Easter sprinkles and call it good.
- Can I use Large Marshmallows To Make Rice Krispies?
- You can but the measurement will be a bit different. 6 cups (or a 10 ounce bag) of marshmallows is equal to 40 large marshmallows. Since the recipe needs 15 cups of mini marshmallows you will have to count out 100 large marshmallows.
- How Many Cups of Mini Marshmallows Are In a 10 Ounce Bag?
- There are 6 cups of mini marshmallows in a 10 ounce bag of mini marshmallows.
- For this recipe you need 15 cups of mini marshmallows.
More Easter Recipes To Try
- Cadbury Mini Egg Cookies
- No Bake Coconut Cream Pie
- Easter Goody Bars
- No Flour Cadbury Egg Cookie Bars
- Easter Bunny Chow
- Cadbury Egg Kiss Cookies
- Family Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe
Peeps Rice Krispy Treats
- 9x13 Baking Dish
- Pre-Cut Parchment Paper Sheets
- Mixing Rubber Spatula
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter (salted or unsalted)
- 15 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- almond bark or melting wafers
- easter sprinkles
- jelly beans
- 12 peeps easter bunnies
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish and line with parchment paper. You could also just spray the dish with cooking spray. * I use the pre-cut parchment paper sheets. I spray the baking dish with cooking spray first (this helps the parchment adhere to the pan) and then I lay a pre-cut parchment sheet, vertically, into the pan.
- In a large pot, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add the mini marshmallows. Stir frequently, to avoid burning the marshmallows, until the mixture is smooth and the marshmallows are melted completely.* It's important to melt the marshmallows low & slow. Don't try to rush this by increasing the heat.
- Take the pot off the heat and add in the vanilla extract and half of the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir gently until combined. Add the remaining Rice Krispies and stir until combined well and everything is coated.
- Dump the rice krispy mix into the prepared pan. Gently press the mixture evenly into the pan. Don't smash or heavily press as that can cause the treats to be hard and tough.
- Melt the almond bark in the microwave according to package directions. I just place it in a Pyrex glass measuring cup and microwave in increments of 30 seconds until it's completely smooth.
- Use a spoon to drizzle the melted almond bark over the krispy treats. Add the sprinkles. Place the 12 peeps and gently press into the krispy treats. Finally, add jelly beans onto the almond bark areas to help them adhere.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 15-30 minutes, to allow the almond bark drizzle to dry and set, before cutting into squares.