Sweet Potato Casserole with Canned Sweet Potatoes & Buttery Crackers
What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? For me, that is an easy answer. I love sweet potato casserole! Like, love it so much that I have been known to make it year round as a side dish to dinner. Do you ever make it other than at Thanksgiving?
I don't know what it is but I can't get enough of sweet potato casseroles. I love all kinds; the ones with pecan streusel topping, the gooey marshmallow topping, the all out homemade casseroles, or even the shortcut sweet potato casseroles that use canned sweet potatoes. Yes, canned! And trust me you won't even know it uses canned yams or sweet potatoes.
I am telling you that the secret to this recipe today is the canned sweet potatoes. Trust me when I say that they will rock your world 🙂
Plus, they make this casserole so easy to make. No peeling and chopping potatoes and no boiling. Just open a can and mix in a few simple ingredients and that's it.
If you're not sold on the canned idea, just try it. I promise you'll love it and you and everyone else won't have any idea that is was so easy to make.
The buttery and slightly salty Ritz cracker crumbs on top totally make this dish. It's so different than the classic sweet potato casserole, which is a fun change.
If your family is anything like mine then you usually end up with a few different sweet potato casserole dishes so it's nice to have something different.
With Thanksgiving coming up I know make ahead dishes are golden. This casserole can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge but DO NOT add the cracker topping until just before serving. With that said, this casserole literally takes minutes to put together so it's pretty easy to make the day of.
This has already made several appearances at my house and we'll be having it again at Thanksgiving. I hope you love this version!
Try these other Thanksgiving side dish recipes
Buttery Cracker Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 can (40 oz) sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
Buttery Cracker Topping
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine all sweet potato ingredients and blend together using a handheld blender, until creamy and smooth. If you prefer a chunkier sweet potato mixture, then do not beat as much. Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- To make the cracker topping: Use a food processor to finely ground up the Ritz crackers. You could also put the crackers in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- Combine the crushed crackers with the brown sugar and melted butter. Stir together until it resembles wet sand. Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Top will be lightly toasted and internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST