MASHED POTATOES RECIPE
I have never, before now, been obsessed with mashed potatoes in all of my life. I hate to even admit this, but I've never cared for mashed potatoes so much so that I don't even make them for Thanksgiving.
I've never had THE perfect mashed potato. You know the ones I am talking about? Creamy, full of flavor, rich and smooth. I mean is that really too much to ask?! haha 🙂
Because my life basically revolves around food and recipes, I have made it my mission to find THE BEST mashed potatoes ever! You know what the secret ingredient is.... cream cheese. It's life changing y'all.
Only a few simple ingredients is all you need; Russet potatoes, cream cheese, whole milk, butter, salt & pepper. How easy is that. And I know I will get some questions about the milk so I will just say it now. Use whole milk. Not fat free, not 1%, etc. Whole milk. You need the fat and the creaminess for mashed potatoes.
Mashed potatoes aren't diet food so it's pointless to use fat-free milk. They won't taste nearly as good and they won't have the same rich and creamy texture that makes these so amazing.
How to make the best mashed potatoes with cream cheese
Peel the potatoes and put them in a large pot. Cover with water and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, put the lid on and turn the heat down to let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
Add the cooked potatoes into a bowl with the cream cheese, butter, milk, salt & pepper. Beat or mash together until nice and smooth.
You have two options here; use a handheld blender to beat them until smooth (my preference) or use a potato masher.
Another tip is to make sure your butter, cream cheese, and milk is warm when you add them into the potatoes. It will incorporate much better. You don't have to do this but I always do. I heat the butter and cream cheese together in the microwave on a plate for about 20-25 seconds. Then I heat the milk in a glass measuring cup for about 1 minute.
My tips for making this recipe
Please, please, please (I am begging!) use full fat ingredients for these mashed potatoes. They're not diet food! Use whole milk, real butter, and full fat cream cheese.
Make sure the butter, milk, and cream cheese are warmed before you add them into the potatoes.
These only take about 30 minutes to make and they are best served right away.
The recipe calls for Russet potatoes and those are the best ones to use.
This recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd. Use a 5 pound bag of Russet potatoes and double all the other ingredients.
Perfect Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs Russet potatoes (about 4 large potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Peel potatoes and rinse them. Cut into small chunks (about 1") and put into a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold water and add the 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, cover pot with lid and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Put the butter, cream cheese, and milk in a mixrowave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds just to warm them up. They will incorporate better into the potatoes if warmed.
- Drain potatoes (I use a colander) and place into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, cream cheese, and milk. Use a handheld blender to combine until creamy, or use a potato masher.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediatly.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST