A few minutes prep in the morning is all you need for this ground beef stew that is made in the slow cooker. A hearty , flavorful stew loaded with vegetables and ground beef. Perfect comfort food dinner for any night of the week.
I decided to take a break from all the sweets & all things pumpkin to post this hearty ground beef stew. It cooks away all day in the slow cooker and will make your house smell amazing!
It does require some pre-cooking and chopping before adding it to the slow cooker. But the way I see it, you would have to do some cooking and chopping at dinner time anyways so why not do it in the morning when the day is calmer.
If your house is anything like mine, then the dinnertime hour (aka- the witching hour 🙂 ) is a real thing and quite possibly the most stressful time of the day. It’s because of this that I will never be able to give up my cold can of diet dr. pepper! haha, it’s my sanity saver!
Cook and crumble up the ground beef with an onion and add it to the slow cooker. Be sure and drain it before you add it, otherwise you will end up with a greasy mess of a stew in your slow cooker. I would also suggest using a lean ground beef. Like a 93/7 or 96/4.
Cut up the potatoes and baby carrots making sure to cut them small enough but too small. You want them cooked and tender but you don’t want them mushy and overcooked. I suggest cutting the baby carrots into 3 pieces and then cut the potatoes in about 1″ chunks.
A few seasonings, tomato paste, tomato soup, and beef broth get added along with everything else. Let it cook all day on low and then add some green peas an hour before serving. Besides the pre-cooking and chopping in the morning, this is a very low maintenance dinner.
Garnish with chopped parsley or sliced green onion. We also really like it topped with some shredded parmesan cheese. It’s also good just plain too, which is usually how I end up serving it.
I love to serve some rolls or crusty bread alongside this ground beef stew as well. Makes for the ultimate comfort food dinner for cooler nights.
A few minutes prep in the morning is all you need for this hearty ground beef stew that is made in the slow cooker. A hearty , flavorful stew loaded with vegetables and ground beef. Perfect comfort food dinner recipe for any night of the week.
20 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 20 Total Time
5 based on 5 review(s)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 Yukon gold or red potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 lb bag baby carrots, each carrot cut into 3 pieces
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) tomato soup
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste w/ Italian herbs
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if needed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- In a skillet pan over medium-high heat add ground beef, chopped onion, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Drain and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the peas) and stir together. Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours.
- 1 hour before cooking time is up add the peas and let cook the remaining time.
If you want a thick stew then combine 2 tablespoons cold water + 2 tablespoons cornstarch and pour that into the slow cooker when you add the peas. I think it's perfectly thick as is, but do this if you want a thicker stew.
It does not have to be exactly 1 lb ground beef. It's ok if it's 1.25 lbs or whatever. Aim for 1 lb - 1.5 lbs ground beef.