This chicken stew is one of my favorite things to make when it's cold out. Or anytime really! Chunks of potato, chicken, and carrots cook in a creamy broth all day in the crock pot.
It's the best comfort food that will warm you right up.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR CHICKEN STEW
- Carrots - I highly recommend just buying a bag of baby carrots. They are already peeled and cleaned, so all you have to do is cut them in half!
- Yukon Gold Potatoes OR Red Potatoes - I actually buy a bag of mixed yukon and red baby potatoes at Costco. I love these two potatoes! Use either one or some of both!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large chicken breasts - It's about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken.
- Can of low-sodium chicken broth - The low sodium is important!
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Packet of Ranch seasoning - Not the buttermilk and not the dips. Just the dry ranch seasoning mix.
- Sour Cream
- Salt & Pepper
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN STEW
Cut the carrots in half and quarter the potatoes. Red potatoes and Yukon Gold potatoes are usually smaller in size, so just cutting it into 4 pieces is usually fine. But if they are larger, just chop them into bite-sized pieces.
This is a stew so you want it to be chunkier. Hearty pieces of chicken and potato.
Pour the melted butter over the carrots and potato and mix it together. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it in with the butter coated vegetables.
In a bowl, combine the creamy sauce ingredients and stir with a whisk until it's mixed together and creamy. Pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker and stir everything together.
Cook on LOW heat for 6-7 hours. When using dairy products in the slow cooker, low and slow is the best way to go. So don't try to cook this recipe on HIGH heat. I don't think it will work well.
TRY THESE OTHER STEW RECIPES
Creamy Chicken Stew
- 1 cup halved baby carrots
- 2 cups chopped (bite-sized) red potatoes OR yukon gold
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1½ pounds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14.75 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 packet dry ranch seasoning mix
- Spray the crock pot insert with cooking spray. Add the halved baby carrots and chopped potatoes. Pour melted butter over and stir together to coat the vegetables.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken pieces and mix together. Add the chicken chunks into the crock pot with the vegetables.
- In a small mixing bowl, add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and dry ranch seasoning mix. Stir with a whisk and mix until well combined and creamy. Pour over the chicken/vegetables and stir everything together.
- Cover with the lid and cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.