This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE & GROUND BEEF SPAGHETTI SAUCE
I love making homemade spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker! Instead of simmering on the stove top, this Italian sausage spaghetti sauce simmers for hours in the slow cooker and develops a rich and deep flavor.
Serve over some pasta noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese for a delicious, straight from an Italian restaurant, pasta dinner.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE IN THE SLOW COOKER
- Cook and crumble ground beef, mild ground Italian sausage, salt, and diced onion in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain the grease and add into the slow cooker.
- Dump the remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and stir it all together. Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat all day. It’s an easy set-it-and-forget- it crock pot recipe.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR ITALIAN SAUSAGE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
Italian Sausage – I always use mild Italian sausage when I make this. I also have used the sweet Italian sausage before as well. If you want more spice and more of a kick, then use a hot Italian sausage. But if you’re cooking for kids I would definitely recommend using sweet or mild.
Beef Broth – You can use the reduced sodium beef broth or regular beef broth. If you use the reduced-sodium then be sure and check the taste and add more salt if necessary. I normally use regular beef broth because then I don’t need to add any additional salt and it has lots more flavor!
Tomato Sauce & Tomato Paste – If wanted, use a tomato sauce and tomato paste with Italian herbs in it. I have used regular tomato sauce and paste before, and I have also made this with the tomato sauce that has Italian herbs added to it. Either works fine.
Brown Sugar – Yes, you need this! With all the acid in this recipe (from the tomatoes) you need something sweet to balance it out. Use between 1-2 tablespoons depending on preference.
Italian seasoning, dried basil, garlic, salt, & pepper
TRY THESE OTHER HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE RECIPES
- homemade spaghetti meat sauce
- easy weeknight (short-cut) spaghetti sauce
- the best homemade spaghetti sauce
Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Beef Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed (I use garlic paste)
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (can also use granulated sugar)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, add the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, and salt. Cook and crumble until meat is browned. Drain grease. Add into the slow cooker.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir together. Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours.
- Serve over pasta noodles and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Leftovers freeze really well. I put extra spaghetti sauce in a quart-sized Ziploc freezer bag.