Ditch the canned spaghetti sauce for this flavorful, beefy, homemade spaghetti sauce. Only takes a few minutes to prepare and then let it simmer for amazing flavor. Serve over pasta noodles with some garlic bread for a delicious dinner.
HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
I originally shared this dinner recipe for homemade spaghetti meat sauce when I first started blogging. Almost 3 years ago!
A lot of recipes can accumulate on the blog after 3 years and I’ll be honest, there are lots of recipes that probably never get made again.
This homemade spaghetti meat sauce is one of the recipes that gets made over and over again. It is by far my family’s most loved recipe.
It’s one of the recipes that I want my kids to remember me for. Like every time they come back home they ask mom to make her spaghetti meat sauce 🙂
This homemade spaghetti meat sauce make me so happy. It’s an easy recipe that literally tastes as if you have been slaving over a hot stove all day. And it looks pretty too. My food looking pretty is a big deal for me.
I love the convenience of a canned product as much as anyone, but sometimes you want a homemade dinner that is made from scratch. Even better, sometimes you want a homemade dinner that is actually quick & easy to make, and it’s still made from scratch!
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SAUCE
- Brown some ground beef with a diced onion, crushed garlic, and salt. Be sure and crumble it into small pieces while it cooks.
- Add the usual pasta sauce ingredients : tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes along with some seasonings.
- Let it come to a low boil and then let it simmer for at least 15 minutes. While it’s simmering, prepare your pasta noodles so they’re ready to go.
- If you’ve got the time let this simmer for as long as you can. The flavor gets better and better as it sits and simmers on the stove top.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI SAUCE?
- 1 pound ground beef
- Sweet onion – you can use white or yellow, I just really like the slightly sweet onion with all the acid and hearty beef
- Garlic cloves– use fresh garlic cloves that you mince, use the jarred chopped garlic, or my personal favorite is the tube of garlic paste
- Canned crushed tomatoes
- Canned tomato sauce
- Diced tomatoes w/ basil, garlic, oregano (Italian Style)
- Salt & Pepper
- Dried basil & Oregano
- Granulated Sugar
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- You can use ground beef or even ground turkey for this recipe. I have used both with great results.
- The key to a really well developed spaghetti sauce is to let it simmer. Follow the recipe and make sure that you let the sauce simmer for at least 15 minutes. I always do more because I love the flavor.
- Use any type of garlic you want. Fresh cloves that you mince or press into a garlic press, you can use the garlic paste from the tube, or even the jarred minced garlic. Anything will work!
- Don’t skip the granulated sugar. It is not a huge amount but the it does wonders for a very acidic tomato based pasta sauce.
- Not only will the simmer time let the flavors develop, but it also helps to slightly thicken the pasta sauce as well.
- Serve with your favorite pasta noodles, parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley.
- I highly recommend serving with some breadsticks or garlic bread. Soak up that extra spaghetti meat sauce!
TRY THESE OTHER SPAGHETTI SAUCE RECIPES
WATCH THE RECIPE VIDEO TO SEE HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SAUCE AT HOME!
Homemade Spaghetti Meat Sauce
Ditch the canned spaghetti sauce for this flavorful, beefy, homemade spaghetti meat sauce. Only takes a few minutes to prepare and then let it simmer for amazing flavor. Serve over pasta noodles with some garlic bread for a delicious dinner that will please everyone.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes w/ garlic, oregano, basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Cook ground beef, onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt over medium-high heat until the meat is no longer pink. Crumble as you cook it. Drain the meat to avoid a greasy pasta sauce.
Add in the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
Bring to a low boil and then turn heat down to medium low and let it simmer for at least 15 minutes, longer if you can. If it starts to boil and spit sauce, just turn the heat down.
Serve over hot cooked pasta and garnish with chopped parsley and shredded parmesan cheese if wanted.
The key to this pasta sauce is the simmer time. Let it simmer at least 15 minutes, longer if you can.
While the sauce is simmering prepare the pasta so it's ready to go when the sauce is done.
The 183 calories is for 1 serving of the meat sauce. It does not include pasta noodles. To reduce calories, use cauli-rice or zucchini noodles.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST