Sweet Garlic Chicken is an easy, dump & go, crock pot dinner recipe. Chicken cooks in an easy homemade sweet garlic sauce all day. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
SWEET GARLIC CHICKEN RECIPE
My favorite dinner recipes are the slow cooker recipes that are dump & go. No chopping needed and no special prep. Just put it all in the slow cooker and walk away.
This sweet garlic chicken is so kid-friendly and it’s also one of the meals that you know everyone will gobble up with no complaining. Those types of recipes are gold to me!
HOW DO YOU MAKE SWEET GARLIC CHICKEN
This recipe is a simple dump & go recipe. Simplymix up a sweet garlic sauce and pour it over some chicken in the slow cooker. That’s it. Read below for ingredients and special tips and tricks.
Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- You need 4 chicken breasts for this recipe. Which is also equal to about 2-3 pounds of chicken. It’s best to leave the chicken whole so that it won’t dry out. Once you shred the chicken it will literally fall apart at the touch of a fork, and then it soaks in that delicious sauce until you’re ready to serve it.
- Yes, it has lots of sugar but it also makes a lot of sauce and it does have sweet in the title 🙂 So it’s not like each serving has tons of sugar in it. If you want, experiemnt with the sugar amount and reduce it as needed.
- Offsets the sweet. You’re essentially making a homemade teriyaki type sauce and vinegar is necessary. Be sure you are using the unseasoned rice vinegar.
- Like 7-Up or Sprite. Diet soda will work just fine as well.
Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Yes, low sodium is preferred otherwise I am afraid it may be too salty. But if you love that salty flavor then use regular soy sauce.
Garlic & Black Pepper
- I use the garlic paste in the tube (you can find it in the refrigerated section of produce). You can also mince or chop garlic cloves, or use the chopped garlic from a jar. Add more black pepper if you want more of a pepper kick to the chicken.
Cornstarch + Water
- This mixture helps thicken the sauce so you have plenty to drizzle over the rice. If you like the sauce as is, when it’s done cooking, then just don’t do this step to thicken it up slightly.
TRY THESE OTHER DUMP & GO CROCK POT RECIPES
- Slow Cooker Asian Sesame Chicken
- Creamy Fiesta Chicken
- Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- Quick & Easy Crock Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
Slow Cooker Sweet Garlic Chicken
Sweet Garlic Chicken is an easy, dump & go, crock pot dinner recipe. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cook in an easy homemade sweet garlic sauce all day. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 lbs)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda (like 7-up or Sprite)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves (I use garlic paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Spray the insert of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
Add the chicken breasts into the slow cooker. In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, rice vinegar, lemon-lime soda, soy sauce, garlic, and black pepper. Pour over the chicken.
Cover with lid and cook on LOW heat for 7-8 hours.
1 HOUR BEFORE COOK TIME IS DONE - take the chicken out and shred with two forks (or you can just shred it inside the slow cooker). Add the chicken back into the sauce and stir.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water, and pour into the slow cooker. Stir together, cover with lid, and let cook for the remaining cook time.
NOTE : If you are not home then just let the chicken cook the full cook time. The chicken stays moist thanks to the sauce so it's not like it will dry out. This also does really well on the warm setting if you're not eating until later.