The other day I posted 80+ recipes for super easy and simple family dinner recipes for busy weeknights. This creamy fiesta chicken was part of that list and let me tell you, I almost forgot how much we love this stuff!
You literally dump everything into the slow cooker and let it cook all day. When you're ready, you have perfectly soft & tender shredded chicken in a creamy sauce.
Oh that sauce! Don't get me started. It's hands down the best part of this! It also does well on the 'warm' setting of the crock pot if you're not at home right when it's done or you have kids eating later than everyone else.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING SLOW COOKER FIESTA CHICKEN
Fresh Chicken Breasts
You can use fresh chicken breasts OR frozen but I would highly recommend using fresh chicken breasts. I prefer the fresh (meaning not frozen) chicken breasts in the slow cooker because you tend to get lots of liquid from the frozen chicken breasts which can dilute the flavor a bit. Nothing that would make the dish inedible, I just think using fresh will yield the best results.
And, I find that fresh chicken breasts are not that much more expensive (if any at all) than the frozen chicken.
The recipe calls for black beans nut feel free to use whatever kind you prefer. I've used Pinto beans as well in this recipe. Both are great!
Use whatever canned corn you have or one you prefer. I always buy the gold n' white corn because we love the taste of it. But regular yellow corn works awesome or even canned white corn. Just make sure it's roughly the same can size (15 oz).
Use a mild, medium, or hot salsa depending on your preference. You can also try a homemade salsa too.
I always use full-fat cream cheese because it tastes so much better and it does not contain all the weird stuff to make it "lite" or "Reduced fat". But, YES you can use the reduced-fat lighter cream cheese in this recipe.
What to do with Leftovers?
This recipe makes a lot which is never a bad thing! I love having leftovers as lunch the next day. Or you can serve inside tacos, burritos or use it as a topping for baked nachos. So really, you're getting two meals for one, I call that a win for sure!
Can I make Fiesta Chicken Spicy?
Yes and it's easy! Simply add a can of diced green chilies in with the other ingredients. Use a jar of hot salsa. Add some red cayenne pepper seasoning along with the others. Add additional chili powder seasoning. If you really want it spicy, then add a can of chopped jalapenos! I cook for 4 little kids so I don't do any of these but they would all work just fine if you wanted to do them.
HOW TO SERVE FIESTA CHICKEN FOR DINNER
I always make my cilantro lime rice OR this easy mexican rice when I make creamy fiesta chicken. We use the rice as the base, pile on some of the creamy fiesta chicken, and then top with chopped cilantro, avocado and some cheese.
It's already so creamy that you don't even need sour cream but feel free to top it with whatever you love! Chopped green onion, salsa, guacamole, chopped olives, are all great toppings.
My kids also love to eat this with tortilla chips! It's super kid-friendly.
Be sure and try my recipe for fiesta chicken casserole. Same idea as this slow cooker version but baked in a casserole dish with pasta!
Slow Cooker Creamy Fiesta Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3-4 lbs)
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) corn, drained
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, chunked
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray. Lay the chicken breasts on the bottom. They will probably be overlapping slightly and that's fine.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beans, corn, salsa, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt. Stir together and pour over the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- With 30 minutes left in the cook time (or just when the cook time is over) take two forks and shred the chicken. It will easily just fall apart and shred nicely. Stir everything together. Place the cream cheese chunks on top and cover with the lid again, cook the remaining 30 minutes.
- Give it a good stir to combine the cream cheese in with the chicken. Serve the fiesta chicken over some rice and top with all your favorite toppings!
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST