Slow cooker honey teriyaki chicken is a family favorite dinner. Only a few ingredients for a homemade honey teriyaki sauce and some chicken is all you need! The chicken is so tender thanks to the long cook time in the slow cooker. Serve over cooked rice and drizzle with additional teriyaki sauce.
The Monday curse is real friends. Can I just say that I am so glad it's Tuesday. I spent the entire weekend, not really the entire weekend but any free moment I had (which was after the kids' bedtime), making a nice long grocery list of everything I needed. My menu plan for the week was fabulous. I had a bunch of stuff to make for the blog. I was feeling good because rarely do I actually get my entire grocery list written out and all ready to go.
Anyways, so come Monday morning and I pack up my kids and haul everyone off to the store. It literally went south right when we pulled in the parking lot. Baby was crying, the toddler was throwing an epic tantrum because she didn't want to wear her jacket, I could not find my debit card anywhere, I realized that I forgot the grocery list on the kitchen counter, I forgot the baby bottle at home, and to top it off my 5-year-old was throwing a fit over not being able to push the cart by herself.....
No joke this all happened in the parking lot. We hadn't even gone in yet. Needless to say, I put all the kids back into the car and drove home. We ended up going to Sam's Club for dinner (glamorous I know). Ugh. Life with young kids is hard. But then when your 2-year-old comes to you moments after coming home from said bad experience in the parking lot, and says "mom I sorry for crying" and then gives you a hug; those hard moments don't seem so hard anymore.
Day-to-day life with young kids is hard. Which is why I love having quick & simple slow cooker recipes that I can prepare in the morning and then I know for sure, regardless of how crazy the day was, that we'll have dinner ready that evening.
All you have to do is cook some rice when you're ready for dinner. That's it.
This honey teriyaki chicken is just some chicken breasts and an easy homemade teriyaki sauce. Cook it in the crock pot all day and then add some cornstarch/water to help thicken it. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Even my 1st grader who claims he hates rice ate his entire plate! I was shocked and so happy at the same time. This one is a winner. Try it and let me know what you think.
Slow Cooker Honey Teriyaki Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2-3 lbs)
- 1½ cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves (minced, pressed, from a jar, or garlic paste)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and place chicken breasts into the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl combine water, brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, and sesame oil. Whisk together to combine. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low heat for 5-7 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving take out the chicken and place on a plate and shred with two forks.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water in small bowl and pour into the teriyaki sauce in the slow cooker. Whisk to combine. Add the shredded chicken back in and let cook on low for the remaining 30 minutes of cook time.
- Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.