Baked bean beef chili is an easy, 4 ingredient chili recipe that is sweet & spicy! Sweet baked beans, lean ground beef, tomato juice, and seasonings make this chili so quick and easy to make. Don’t forget the corn chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream!
I realize that it’s probably still 100 degrees in most places right now….. but if you’re anything like me then the hot temperatures won’t stop you from making delicious comfort food for your family.
Once my kids are in school I’ve got fall on the brain. All things pumpkin, soup, chili, and comfort foods.
This baked bean beef chili is such an easy recipe and it’s a sweeter chili so it’s perfect for feeding a family with little ones.
The one thing I always tell people about chili recipes is to be sure and serve it with Fritos corn chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream. Chili is not chili without those toppings.
The toppings take any bowl of chili from “it’s good” to “wow it’s amazing!” 🙂
How to make baked bean beef chili
- Brown and crumble 2 lbs of ground beef with some spices in a large soup pot. I cook ground beef over medium-high heat and crumble it as it cooks. I prefer really small, fine crumbles of ground beef so I crumble it pretty well. Drain the grease if necessary.
- Add 2 large cans of baked beans, tomato juice, and a packet of chili seasoning. Bring it to a low boil and then turn heat to low and let it simmer for at least 20-30 minutes.
- Top each bowl of chili with Fritos corn chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Tips for making baked bean beef chili
- This chili is more on the sweet side. It’s sweet but has a spice kick from the chili seasoning packet. I think it’s perfect and not too sweet at all. With this in mind, please use regular baked beans. Do not use the brown sugar baked beans or anything really sweet like that. It will make the chili very sweet with the added sweet baked beans.
- If you want your chili with some heat, then add some chopped jalapenos on top. Or you can add a can of diced green chilies to the chili. This recipe is highly adaptable.
- You will find tomato juice in the juice aisle at the grocery store. Tomato juice is NOT the same thing as V8. Tomato juice comes in a large can (46 oz) or a plastic juice jug. I buy the can because it’s cheaper and you will use almost all of it for the 4 cups needed in this recipe.
Using the canned baked beans allows the chili to have that slow cooked, simmered flavor without all the time. I was hesitant when I first made this recipe because there are so few ingredients. But it works! So much flavor, so hearty and thick, and a delicious twist to chili.
Try these other chili recipes too
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cans (28 oz each) original baked beans (do not drain)
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1 packet chili seasoning
Brown ground beef in a large soup pot over medium-high heat until no longer pink. When meat is halfway cooked, add the garlic powder, cumin, and onion powder. Crumble meat as it cooks. Drain grease.
Add the cans of baked beans, tomato juice, and chili seasoning packet. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with Fritos corn chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.
You can top this chili with any cheese you want. I always have Colby-jack cheese on hand so that is what I use. Cheddar cheese works well and even Pepper Jack cheese for some spice.
You will find tomato juice in the juice aisle of the grocery store. It is NOT the same thing as V8. It comes in a large can or a plastic jug. It will specifically say 'tomato juice' on the front.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST