This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is so creamy and full of tender shredded chicken, delicious spice, green chilies, hearty white beans, corn, and cream cheese! Creamy white chicken chili is the perfect cozy comfort food for dinner. Top this chicken chili with tortilla chips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Slow cooker dinners with minimal effort are always family favorites like this creamy chicken stew and slow cooker creamy fiesta chicken. This recipe for slow cooker white chicken chili is no different! Easy, dump & go slow cooker recipes that need to have a permanent spot on your family’s meal plan.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
I can’t say enough good things about this slow cooker creamy white chicken chili!
This creamy white chicken chili cooks in the slow cooker all day and it’s such a warm and cozy meal for these cold days we have headed our way.
Chicken breasts are perfectly spiced with dried seasonings, hearty white beans, and corn in a creamy chicken broth and green chili base.
My version of this classic recipe is a little different because it calls for the green chilies to be blended up! Kids usually are not fans of weird chunks in their food which is why it’s best to blend it up because it gives a smoother and creamier texture.
What You’ll Need
It’s fairly simple to make white chicken chili which calls for normal, inexpensive ingredients.
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts – You need two to three chicken breast for this recipe, which is about 1.5 pounds of chicken.
- Salt, Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Chili Powder – The perfect blend of spices! A little spice that is perfectly evened out with the cream cheese at the end.
- Chicken Broth – I prefer to use the reduced sodium chicken broth in this recipe.
- Diced Green Chilies
- Great Northern Beans – These will be drained and rinsed before adding into the slow cooker.
- Canned White & Yellow Corn – I love the mix of the white and yellow corn, but of course any canned corn can be used.
- White Onion
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic that has been minced or pressed. Chopped garlic from a jar. Or garlic paste from a tube.
- Cream Cheese – Full fat cream cheese is best!
- Heavy Cream
How to Make Creamy White Chicken Chili In The Slow Cooker
You will need a slow cooker for this recipe along with a knife + cutting board, and a colander or something to drain & rinse the beans in.
Chicken + Spices : Lay the chicken breasts inside the insert of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the dried seasonings over the chicken.
Broth : In a blender, combine one can of chicken broth + the can of green chilies and blend until smooth. Pour this into the slow cooker along with the other can of chicken broth, beans, corn, onion, and garlic.
Shred Chicken : Take the chicken breasts out and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
Make It Creamy : Add the heavy cream and chunks of cream cheese. Put the lid back on and let it sit for about 30 minutes or until the cream cheese easily incorporates into the chili.
Tips For Success
Here are a few of my tried and true tips for this recipe which will hopefully make this recipe a success in your own home.
Use The Heavy Cream : Just please us it! ? It has the perfect rich and creamy flavor needed for this white chicken chili.
Cook Time : Some slow cookers cook faster and at higher heat than others. If the chicken shreds easily with a fork then it’s done. I love to leave the chili in there the full cook time because the chicken gets fall apart tender. But if you are short on time, just make sure the chicken is up to temperature (165 degrees) and that it shreds easily with a fork.
There are a few ways to change this recipe up!
- Make It Spicy : If you want some heat and a kick to your white chicken chili then use a can of hot diced green chilies, add some additional chili powder, and/or add cayenne pepper in with the other dried seasonings.
- Beans : I love the great northern beans in this recipe but feel free to use whatever bean you want. Navy beans are another white bean that can be used or some white kidney beans would also be a great choice.
- Cream Cheese : If wanted, use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese in this recipe. I love the thickness and creaminess of the full fat cream cheese but it can easily be substitute with a lighter cream cheese.
- No Chop Recipe : To make this white chicken chili a no chop recipe, use some pre diced onions, which you can usually find in the refrigerated produce area of the grocery store.
- Non Dairy : To make this chili dairy free simply leave out the cream and cream cheese. The chili won’t be “creamy” but you will still have all those delicious flavors.
I love to serve this chili with bowls of different toppings so that way everyone can top their serving however they like.
I serve white chicken chili with shredded Monterey jack cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, and thin jalapeño slices for the adults or those that want some heat.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers will store well, in a covered air-tight container, in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Can I Freeze White Chicken Chili?
Yes this does freeze well with some changes. Dairy (cream cheese and heavy cream) do not freeze well, they curdle once they are thawed. To avoid that, prepare the chili up until the point where you add the heavy cream and cream cheese.
Let it cool and then store it in freezer safe bags or containers for up to 3 months.
When reheating the chili on the stove top or slow cooker, simply add the cream and cream cheese at that time.
You’ll Love These Other Chili Recipes
Taco Ranch Chicken Chili – A delicious chicken chili with all the taco ingredients like corn, tomatoes, and a packet of taco seasoning + ranch seasoning for the best flavor.
The Best Classic Chili Recipe – Classic red chili with nothing fancy and no fluff. A really good classic recipe for the original chili.
Baked Bean Chili – One of my favorites! Only 5 ingredients needed and it’s so easy, and crazy delicous!
Crockpot Chili – Chili cooked in the crock pot with some extra ingredients like cocoa powder (which makes all the difference).
Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilies
- 2 cans (15 oz each) great northern beans drained & rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) white & yellow corn drained
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Spray insert of slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Lay the chicken breasts inside the slow cooker and sprinkle the salt, cumin, pepper, oregano, and chili powder over the chicken.
- In a blender, combine one can of chicken broth + can of green chilies and blend until smooth. Pour into the slow cooker along with the other can of chicken broth, beans, white corn, chopped onion, and garlic.
- Stir to combine everything together.
- Cook on LOW heat for 6-8 hours.
- Take the chicken out and shred it with two forks. Add it back into the slow cooker along with the chunked cream cheese and heavy cream. Let cook for an additional 30 minutes or until it combines smoothly into the chili.
- Serve with shredded Monterey Jack shredded cheese, jalapeño slices, tortilla chips, and sour cream if wanted. You can really top it with anything you like!