This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Tater Tot Casserole with a cheeseburger twist! Perfectly seasoned ground beef topped with a biscuit crust, crispy tater tots, and lots of cheese! Everyone will love this tater tot casserole.
TATER TOT CASSEROLE
Tater tot casserole is like the ultimate comfort food for me. The warm seasoned base that usually consists of ground beef, topped with those toasty and crispy tater tots, plus the melted cheese!
It’s so good and no wonder it’s a family favorite dinner recipe that gets made often at my house.
My family’s favorite version of this classic casserole is with a cheeseburger twist. Seasoned ground beef is topped with a bisquick biscuit topping. The biscuit topping kind of bakes into the casserole and forms this amazing hamburger crust type situation.
Load it up with cheese and tater tots and let it bake in the oven until those tater tots are toasty and crispy.
Ground Beef – I always cook with 93/7 lean ground beef. I still drain it but it’s not too messy because it has less fat. Use whatever ground beef you prefer just make sure you get 2 pounds of it so you can fill the baking dish.
Chopped Onion – Use whatever onion you prefer; white onion, yellow, or even a sweet Vidalia onion. I usually always have white or yellow in my pantry.
Seasonings – The seasonings in the ground beef mixture can be customized but the seasonings in the recipe is what I have found taste the best. But add or subtract any seasoning you prefer.
Bisquick – This is the baking mix not necessarily the pancake mix (like Krusteaz pancake mix). Technically they are the same thing, but just in case, try to buy the yellow box of Bisquick Baking Mix.
Frozen Tater Tots – Just regular frozen tater tots will do the trick. Just check the bag size that you are buying to make sure you don’t buy the huge jumbo bag of tater tots (because they all won’t fit in the casserole). You don’t have to do anything special to thaw them, just place them on the counter before you start cooking the beef mixture so they can thaw a bit before going in the oven.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Recipe calls for shredded cheddar cheese but feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer!
HOW TO MAKE TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE
- Take the frozen tater tots out of the freezer and place them on the counter while you prepare the meat mixture and biscuit mix.
- In a skillet pan, combine the ground beef, chopped onion, and seasonings. Crumble the meat as you cook it until it’s no longer pink. Drain.
- Evenly spread the ground beef into the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with half of the shredded cheese. In a bowl, combine bisquick mix, milk, and eggs. Pour over the shredded cheese layer. Top with the tater tots and bake it!
- Take the casserole out of the oven and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese on top of the tater tots. Cook for another 5 minutes. Let the casserole sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped (I use yellow or white onion)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (more or less to preference)
- 3/4 cup Original Bisquick Baking Mix
- 1 1/2 cups milk (2% or whole is preferred, but any will work)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 bag (32 oz) Frozen Tater Tots
- Heat oven to 400° and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet pan, over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion. Crumble the beef as you cook it until it's no longer pink. When beef is almost done cooking, add in the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, and pepper. Mix together. Drain beef.
- Spread the ground beef into the bottom of the baking dish and top with 2 cups of the shredded cheese.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the Bisquick, milk, and beaten eggs. Stir with a whisk until combined. Evenly pour over the shredded cheese.** To beat eggs, crack them into a small bowl and stir with a fork until they're mixed. Then add into the Bisquick along with the milk.
- Evenly layer the frozen tater tots on top of the shredded cheese/bisquick mix. You can make them in pretty and even rows or just throw them on. Just make sure they are not on top of each other or over lapping.
- Cook for 40-45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and the casserole is bubbly. Sprinkle the remaining 1` cup cheese on top and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Let casserole sit at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving. Cut into squares and serve!
- Leftovers are fabulous! Just warm it up in the microwave. Store leftovers covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.
TRY THESE OTHER CASSEROLE DINNER RECIPES
- Pepperoni Pizza Biscuit Casserole
- Ham Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Burrito Lasagna
- Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
recipe adapted from betty crocker