Broccoli Rice Casserole is loaded with flavorful rice, carrots, corn, chopped ham, and cheese. This rice casserole is a great way to use up leftover ham, bakes up in one pan, and it's a family favorite.
BROCCOLI RICE CASSEROLE WITH HAM
Before I even started this blog of mine one of my favorite things to do was to browse Pinterest & food magazines for recipes. I found this recipe a long time ago and have tweaked it over the years, and it's one of my family's favorite dinner recipes.
I feel bad it's taken this long to get it on the blog!
Rice, cheese, corn, ham, and chopped broccoli. It's basically a complete meal in one casserole dish.
There is lots of chopping involved but if you want those fresh vegetables then you have to chop 🙂
This casserole is a great way to use up leftover ham. Like maybe from Easter.... speaking of ham try out this honey glazed ham that's made in the slow cooker!
My kids love the deli ham from the store so I always buy a pound of it. We prefer the fresh sliced deli ham but you can use any ham you want.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CASSEROLE RECIPE
- Use baby carrots for the chopped carrots. No need to peel them and they're already small in size!
- Try to chop everything small and the same size. I always aim to have the vegetables roughly the same size of the corn.
- I ask the deli counter to 'shave' the ham. This way the ham is thin and it can incorporate easily into the casserole and you won't have big huge chunks of ham.
- I always use Basmati Rice but you can also use long-grain rice.
- If you want to use brown rice then experiment with it. I am sure it will work but brown rice seems to always need more water and more cook time. I've only ever made the recipe with white rice.
- Use any creamed soup you want! We prefer the cream of broccoli but you can use cream of chicken, cream of celery, and I even saw a cream of onion soup at the store.
- Use any kind of cheese you want. My family prefers Colby-Jack cheese, but for some spice you can use Pepper Jack, Cheddar, White Cheddar, etc.
- You can use a 9x9 baking dish or a 9x13 baking dish.
TRY THESE OTHER CASSEROLE DINNER RECIPES
- Creamy Beef Noodle Bake
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Macaroni & Cheese Ham Casserole
- The Best Casserole Recipes
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped steamed broccoli
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 can (15.25 oz) gold n' white corn (drained well)
- 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of broccoli
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup long-grain rice (I use basmati rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x9 OR 9x13 baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a skillet pan, over medium heat, add the butter, onion, and carrots. Cook, stir occasionally, for about 5 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add in the chopped steamed broccoli, ham, and corn. Stir together and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the cream of broccoli soup, salt, pepper, and thyme. Stir together until the creamed soup is combined with everything.
- Add the dry rice and water. Stir together. Add shredded cheese and stir together once more to combine.
- Pour the casserole mixture from the skillet pan into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until rice is done , no liquid remains, and the top of the casserole is golden brown.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO PINTEREST
recipe found & adapted over the years from Lauren's Latest
Leave a Reply