Chocolate zucchini muffins are loaded with chocolate, chocolate chips and plenty of zucchini! Shredded zucchini makes these chocolate muffins so moist and crazy delicious. They bake up perfectly and are the best way to use up zucchini for the garden.
I originally shared this recipe for chocolate zucchini muffins way back when I first started blogging. It’s kind of been one of those recipes that has just sat in the dark depths of my blog and stayed there 🙂
Which I realized is the biggest shame because these chocolate zucchini muffins are so amazing!
I knew I had to take some updated pictures and share it again with you all.
Muffins have always been hit or miss for me. Either they sink in the middle after taking them out of the oven, they spill over the sides while baking, they never get that pretty rounded top, etc.
You should have no worries with these chocolate zucchini muffins! I have never ever had a bad batch of these muffins. They bake up perfectly round, soft, and super moist each and every time.
We used to have a small garden. And by small I mean we had a garden and only planted zucchini in it because that’s normally the only vegetable we can get to grow 🙂
It’s also because I love zucchini! It adds so much moisture and richness, without all the calories and fat, into baked goods and breads.
Tips for making chocolate zucchini muffins
- If your shredded zucchini is making obviously big puddles of “zucchini juice” then go ahead and take a paper towel and just blot it, to try and remove the excess.
- I have never drained or blotted up my shredded zucchini. The entire point of the zucchini is to provide moisture to the muffin, so you do want to keep that moisture. But as mentioned above, if there are obvious large pools of “zucchini juice” from the shredded zucchini then blot it lightly with a paper towel.
- You want to fill the muffin cups almost to the top. These muffins bake up perfectly round so there is no need to worry about it spilling over the sides of the muffin cup.
- I like to save a few of the mini chocolate chips and sprinkle them on top of the muffins (before baking) just to make the muffins pretty.
Try these other muffin and zucchini recipes
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Chocolate zucchini muffins are loaded with chocolate, chocolate chips and plenty of zucchini! Shredded zucchini makes these chocolate muffins so moist and crazy delicious.
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini (about 2 zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag (12 oz) miniature chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners in a 12-cup cupcake/muffin pan. Or spray well with cooking spray.
Combine oil, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a whisk until combined.
Add in shredded zucchini and mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula.
In smaller bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix together with a whick to break up any clumps.
Dump dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Add in the bag of mini chocolate chips and stir to combine. If wanted, reserve some mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking. This is not necessary, it just makes them "pretty".
Fill muffin cups almost to the top. Cook for 20-25 minutes. The tops will be nice and rounded, puffed up and the when you gently press on the muffin it should spring back and not look wet.
Let cool in the muffin pan for about 5 minutes and then remove to cooling rack. I love eating one of these warm!
I would suggest grating the zucchini really finely. I just use the fine/smaller side of my cheese grater and that works really well.
I always peel my zucchini but it's really up to you on if you want to peel or not.
Be sure and save this recipe and PIN IT to PINTEREST