CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Muffins are one of my favorite things to make in the kitchen. Besides these amazing chocolate zucchini muffins, my family also loves these cinnamon banana bread muffins and these chocolate chip banana muffins too.
I have never had a batch of these zucchini muffins turn out bad. I love tried & true recipes that you can count on.
And trust me when I say that kids won’t even care that there is almost 2 cups of shredded zucchini in these chocolate muffins.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
Using shredded zucchini in baked goods is one of the best ways to add tons of moisture and richness without all the calories and fat. And, you really can’t tell that these muffins are loaded with zucchini.
- Mix up a simple ‘wet ingredients’ mixture which is canola oil, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Add the shredded zucchini and stir gently to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the ‘dry ingredients’ together. All-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and gently stir together until combined.
- Add the bag of miniature chocolate chips and stir.
- This recipe makes 12 muffins so divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and bake!
TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
- If the zucchini is really ‘juicy’ after shredding, go ahead and take a paper towel and just blot it dry to remove any excess liquid before adding it into the muffin batter. Zucchini is supposed to provide moisture so you want it wet, but you don’t want it dripping wet and creating a pool of zucchini juice.
- For best results (and to hide it well!) shred the zucchini on the finest part of the grater.
- You will fill up the muffin cups almost to the very top. These muffins bake up perfectly round and puffy.
- For a pretty muffin save about 1/4 cup or more of the miniature chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking.
TRY THESE OTHER ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPES
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Whole Wheat Zucchini Walnut Bread
- Perfect Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Crunchy Streusel Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded zucchini about 2 zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bag (12 oz) miniature chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners in a 12-cup cupcake/muffin pan. Or spray well with cooking spray.
- Combine oil, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Mix well with a whisk until combined.
- Add in shredded zucchini and mix gently with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- In smaller bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix together with a whick to break up any clumps.
- Dump dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add in the bag of mini chocolate chips and stir to combine. If wanted, reserve some mini chocolate chips to sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking. This is not necessary, it just makes them "pretty".
- Fill muffin cups almost to the top. Cook for 20-25 minutes. The tops will be nice and rounded, puffed up and the when you gently press on the muffin it should spring back and not look wet.
- Let cool in the muffin pan for about 5 minutes and then remove to cooling rack. I love eating one of these warm!