This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Deliciously moist Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread with 2 whole cups of shredded zucchini and dotted with milk chocolate chips throughout – zucchini and chocolate are a perfect pairing in this easy quick bread recipe.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
You guys have LOVED my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins for years now, it’s actually one of the most popular recipes on the site! I figured it was time to come up with an easy quick bread recipe (meaning no yeast involved) for zucchini chocolate chip bread.
Perfectly moist zucchini bread thanks to the oil and fresh zucchini and dotted with milk chocolate chips throughout. This recipe makes enough for 1 large loaf of chocolate chip zucchini bread. It’s the perfect snack!
Why We Love This Zucchini Bread
- Yummy Snack – I love quick bread recipes because it’s the perfect snack and has a texture of a snack cake. Slather on some butter and it’s perfection.
- Uses Up Fresh Garden Zucchini – Yes you can buy zucchini in the store, but if you grow zucchini at home, this is the best way to use up all that summertime produce.
- Super Moist – This recipe uses oil which helps the bread bake up really moist, and it has 2 cups of shredded zucchini in it!
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda – These two work together to help the bread rise while baking.
- Ground Cinnamon – When combined with the nutmeg this gives the bread a warm flavor that pairs really well with the zucchini.
- Kosher Salt
- Large Eggs
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Granulated Sugar
- Light Brown Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Zucchini – Shred the zucchini with a cheese box grater.
- Chocolate Chips – I like milk chocolate chips but you can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips. Even mini chocolate chips are delicious in this zucchini bread too.
How To Make Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread (Step-by-Step Directions)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9×5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. I like to spray the pan first and then press the parchment paper in, as it acts like glue for the parchment paper to stick to the pan.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger mixing bowl, use a whisk to mix the eggs, oil, sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract until combined and smooth.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the shredded zucchini and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips until combined.
- Add the contents of the dry ingredient bowl into the larger mixing bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix just until combined and no flour streaks remain in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Loosely cover the loaf pan with a piece of tin foil for the last 15 or 20 minutes of the cook time to prevent the top from over browning.
- Cool the bread completely before slicing.
How To Store Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
You can keep the bread at room temperature for 3-4 days. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap or place it inside a gallon size Ziploc bag. Be sure the loaf is completely cooled before wrapping it in plastic wrap.
You can also keep the bread in the fridge to make it last longer. The bread will dry out slightly if stored in the fridge. A quick warm-up in the microwave can fix that.
To freeze this zucchini chocolate chip bread loaf, place the cooled bread loaf into a freezer-safe container or bag, and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the fridge and warm up a slice in the toaster, toaster oven, or the microwave.
FAQ’s + Tips For Success
- Chocolate Chips – Use milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate chips. You could also use white chocolate chips or peanut butter chocolate chips for a twist.
- Don’t Over-Mix The Batter – Once you add the dry ingredient into the wet ingredients, it’s important to gently stir everything together using a silicone spatula and stir it just until combined and no flour streaks or chunks remain in the batter. Little dots of flour are ok, but there should not be huge streaks or pockets of it in the batter still. Mixing in the flour too much can cause too much gluten to form, which results in a dense or tough bread texture.
- Zucchini Tips – You can peel the zucchini or leave the skin on, either way is just fine! Use a box cheese grater to shred it. We want the extra moisture from the juice of the zucchini so dump it all in the batter. If there is tons of liquid then maybe don’t use it all. But a little bit is just fine.
Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (milk, semi-sweet, or mini)
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Prepare a 9×5-inch loaf pan and spray with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. * If using parchment paper, it helps to spray the loaf pan first and then press the liner in. The cooking spray will help the parchment paper adhere and stay in place.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and kosher salt. Stir with a whisk and set the bowl aside.2 cups all-purpose flour, 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a separate larger mixing bowl add the eggs, oil, sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Use the same whisk (as the dry ingredients) and whisk until combined and smooth.2 large eggs, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon and mix in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.2 cups shredded zucchini, 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix just until combined and no flour pockets remain in the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle some additional chocolate chips over top. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. * I like to loosely lay a piece of foil over top the bread for the last 20 minutes to avoid the top from getting too browned.
- Remove the bread from the oven and allow it to cool completely, in the loaf pan, before slicing it.