COOKIES & CREAM OREO BROWNIES
My life has been forever changed since I realized that you can use chocolate candy bars for frosting (joking, but kind of serious 🙂 ). I am not a fan of the heavy buttercream, sickly sweet powdered sugar frostings. But this Cookies & Cream chocolate bar frosting I can totally get behind.
I did the same thing with these Andes mint cookie brownies. The frosting is just Andes mint chocolates.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE BROWNIES STUFFED WITH OREO COOKIES
The base of these Oreo Brownies is my homemade brownie recipe. And I have no shame in saying I have made the homemade brownies so many times that I have it memorized!
They are thick, chewy, soft baked, and so easy & inexpensive to make thanks to the use of cocoa powder in the recipe instead of expensive, fancy baking chocolate.
You will need simple pantry ingredients for the brownies like butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and all-purpose flour.
Oreo Cookies - The recipe calls for 20 Oreo cookies. You will put them in between the two layers of brownie mix. I always use the regular stuffed Oreos for this recipe. I *think* the double stuffed will be too thick and make it harder to spread the brownie batter over top.
Hershey Cookies & Cream Candy Bars - These are the full size candy bars that you will find near the check out stand. It's a white chocolate bar with crunchy bits of Oreo pieces inside. My daughter loves these candy bars so much, that she pretty much thinks these deserve their own food group on the pyramid.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- The brownie batter is sticky and thick so it will be hard to spread around. You have to work for these brownies! It helps a lot if you dollop spoonfuls of the brownie batter all over the pan instead of just dumping it in one spot in the middle. In the step-by-step photos it shows this.
- It's also very helpful to spray the back of a spoon (like a stainless steel dinner spoon) and then use that to help spread out the batter. I have found this to be the easiest to spread it out, along with dolloping the batter all over the baking pan.
- It does take about 1-2 hours for the frosting to harden and set up. If you want to speed up the process, simply put the pan of brownies (after they have cooled for 30 minutes or so) in the refrigerator and let the frosting harden and set up in there. These brownies do not have to be stored in the fridge, in fact, they are much better at room temperature. The frosting on top will stay hard and set even if left out at room temperature.
TRY THESE OTHER OREO COOKIE RECIPES
- No Bake Oreo Cream Pie
- Oreo Cheesecake Layered Pie
- Cookies & Cream Oreo Blondies
- Oreo Dirt Pie
- Oreo Milkshake Recipe
Cookies & Cream Oreo Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 20 Oreo Cookies
- 8 (1.55 oz each) Hershey Cookies & Cream bars
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray, lining with parchment paper, or tin foil (spray the tin foil lightly if using).
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugar with a wire whisk until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing the egg into the batter with a whisk before adding the next egg.
- Add vanilla extract and cocoa powder. Stir to combine. Add the flour and stir together until no flour streaks remain.
- Spread out half the brownie batter in the bottom of the prepared pan. It is easier to spread out if you dollop spoonfuls of batter all over the pan instead of dumping into one pile in the middle.
- Press the 20 Oreo cookies into the batter. Cover with the other half of the brownie batter. Again, drop spoonful's of batter over top the cookies (like in the pictures in the post). It also helps to spray the back of a stainless steel dinner spoon with cooking spray, and then use that to help spread out the batter.
- Cook for 23-30 minutes. Mine are always done around 23 minutes so check yours if your oven cooks fast like mine.
- The brownies will look puffy, slightly pulled away from the edges of pan, and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Immediately after taking the brownies out of the oven, lay the 8 Hershey candy bars over top the brownies. Let sit for about 15 minutes and then spread out the chocolate with a spoon. Let the brownies cool completely. The chocolate frosting will harden and set. This takes about 1-2 hours.
- Store leftovers, covered, at room temperature. The frosting will stay hardened even at room temperature.