Egg Muffin Cups are the perfect healthy breakfast and you can make these ahead of time for breakfast all week long! Eggs, spinach, red bell pepper, cheese, and seasonings are all you need for this breakfast recipe.
EGG MUFFIN CUPS
Egg muffin cups are the perfect thing to make at the beginning of the week because they store really well in the fridge which makes for an easy breakfast all week long. Eggs, chopped spinach, red bell pepper, cheese, milk, and seasoning is all you need.
I love making these for my kids in the morning when I want them to have a hearty breakfast instead of the sugar cereal that they love to eat so much. I also will make a double batch and leave the leftovers in the fridge so that way there is a healthy breakfast option all ready to go.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN EGG MUFFIN CUPS?
Fresh Spinach - I use baby spinach and I also take the long stem off each spinach leaf before I cut it off.
Red Bell Pepper - Be sure and cut this really small so it will soften up slightly during the bake time.
Salt & Pepper
Shredded Cheese - You can leave this out if wanted. Feel free to also substitute with reduced-fat cheese depending on your dietary needs.
MY TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Spray the muffin cups really well with cooking spray! Being generous with the cooking spray will ensure that the egg muffin cups don't get stuck to the sides of the pan.
- You can leave out the cheese if wanted. Same thing with the milk, use a non-dairy milk depending on your dietary needs.
- I have used reduced-fat shredded cheese in this recipe and it works great.
- Make sure that you chop the red bell pepper into really small pieces so it will soften up slightly during the cook time. If it's in larger pieces then it will have a slightly crunchier texture.
YOU WILL LOVE THESE OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES
Sausage Breakfast Casserole - A hearty breakfast casserole with shredded hashbrowns, ground sausage, and cottage cheese. We're known to eat this when we have breakfast for dinner at my house.
Peaches n Cream Cinnamon Roll Casserole - Frozen peaches and canned cinnamon roll dough make this sweet breakfast casserole so simple to make.
The Best Scrambled Eggs - Yes, you really do need a recipe for the best scrambled eggs. Lots of tips and tricks to getting the perfect fluffy scrambled eggs we all want.
Egg Muffin Cups
- 7 large eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk or milk of choice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper chopped really small
- ½ cup chopped spinach stems removed, chop the leafy part
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Heat oven to 375°. Prepare a muffin pan by spraying 7 of the muffin cups really well with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk well to combine. Stir in the bell pepper, spinach, and cheese.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly between the 7 muffin cups. They will be nearly full which is fine.
- Bake for 16-22 minutes or until the egg cups are really puffy and the center is set. * Use a toothpick inserted in the middle to double check for doneness, if needed.
- Eat immediately OR you can store them in the fridge for 2-3 days. Eat cold or reheat in the microwave.