Enchilada chicken tacos are made in the slow cooker (or crock pot) and only require 5 ingredients! Chicken breasts, red and green enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, and green chilies. The shredded enchilada chicken is so tender and tastes like enchiladas. It makes the perfect filling for tacos, soft tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or a taco rice bowl!
As I was getting this post ready to go I realized that I have been sharing a lot of Mexican food recipes lately! Which is not a bad thing in my world but maybe to others?? Hopefully not because I do have these shredded enchilada chicken tacos to share with you all today. This enchilada taco recipe was an experiment gone perfectly right.
I have mentioned before that most of my recipe ideas occur while I am grocery shopping. Call me crazy, but grocery shopping is my favorite thing to do! And yes, I do realize I probably need a more exciting life if grocery shopping is the most exciting thing I do, haha 🙂
I happened to finally see the new flour tortilla crunchy taco shells and I just knew I needed to think of something to do with them. As many of you know, we are in the process of packing up our house right now. I don't have a pantry in our current house but I do have a "closet" down in the laundry room where I keep a bunch of random food items.
So in my attempt to start clearing it out and using it, I saw that I had a can of red and a can of green enchilada sauce plus like 10 cans of diced green chilies. For real! Not sure why I have so many of those! And that my friends, is how these slow cooker enchilada chicken tacos were born.
5 Ingredients is all you need for these. Chicken breasts, a can of red enchilada sauce, a can of green enchilada sauce, packet of taco seasoning, and a can of diced green chilies. It all goes into the slow cooker! Your house will smell like an authentic Mexican restaurant. Trust me. It is yummy.
I know the Instant Pot is all the rage lately but I still love my crock pot the best. Which is why I chose the slow cooker instead of the Instant Pot to make these chicken tacos. The long and slow cooking time yields chicken that is so moist and flavorful. When the cooking time is done the chicken will literally fall apart.
Tips for making slow cooker enchilada chicken tacos
- My family does not like the chunky texture of the green chilies so I always combine the enchilada sauces, taco seasoning, and green chilies into a blender and blend it all together.
- You can makes these as hot & spicy as you want! Use a can of jalapeno peppers instead of green chilies. Use medium or hot enchilada sauce.
- I prefer to cook the chicken on low heat for about 7 hours. I prefer the low and slow method with chicken in the crock pot. But, you would be fine cooking it on high heat for 4-5 hours if needed.
- The recipe does yield some sauce after the cook time. This is a good thing! It's what keeps the chicken moist and flavorful. Use a slotted spoon to place the shredded chicken into the serving bowl. This will help get rid of a lot of the liquid so you're not serving wet tacos.
Serve with all your favorite taco toppings and enjoy! Oh, and be sure to heat the corn taco shells in the oven first! It makes such a BIG difference in the taste of your taco. I used to never do this because I thought it was a waste of time, but don't be dumb like me 🙂 , because it is most definitely NOT a waste of time. It really makes a taco even better.
Slow Cooker Enchilada Chicken Tacos
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breats
- 1 can (10 oz) mild red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4.5 oz) diced green chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken breasts inside the liner of the slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and give it a little stir to make sure the chicken is coated and there is sauce underneath the chicken.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours OR on high for 4-5 hours. When cook time is done, shred chicken with two forks. Scoop shredded chicken into a serving bowl with a slotted spoon to remove excess liquid.
- ** If you prefer a smooth texture (like me!) place the enchilada sauces, green chilies, and taco seasoning into a blender. Blend until smooth and then pour over the chicken in the slow cooker **
- Serve with crunchy corn shells, flour tortillas for soft tacos and all your favorite taco toppings.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST