Lemon Zucchini Bread is a perfect way to use up zucchini. Buttermilk makes this bread so moist and cake-like. Loaded with zucchini, fresh lemon juice, and lemon zest. Bakes up perfectly each and every time!
LEMON ZUCCHINI BREAD RECIPE
This lemon zucchini bread is one of those recipes that I wish everyone would make. I kind of want to make a bunch and send them to you all because it is so yummy.
I love quick breads like this applesauce bread or these chocolate chip zucchini muffins but they can be tricky. Some don't bake properly, rise properly, the texture is off, and lots just end up sinking down in the middle after you pull it out of the oven.
This one will not do that. It literally bakes up perfectly each and every time. The fresh lemon flavor is so bright not only in the lemon zucchini bread but also in that simple lemon glaze. The addition of the buttermilk in the recipe makes the bread so soft and gives this quick bread an almost cake-like texture.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON ZUCCHINI BREAD
- Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Stir together with a whisk which will help break up any clumps fro the flour. It acts as a sifter but it's way easier to do than sifting the flour.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat the eggs for at least 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar and oil and beat until lighter in color and until it looks fluffy.
- Add buttermilk, lemon zest, and fresh lemon juice. Combine.
- Add in the shredded zucchini and then dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the mini loaf pans.
- Bake according to the directions.
- Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for about 15 minutes and then invert it onto a cooling rack.
- Let the bread cool completely before gazing it. If you try to glaze the bread while it's still warm the glaze will just fall right off.
MY TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING LEMON ZUCCHINI BREAD
Use fresh lemons
- Using fresh squeezed lemon juice makes such a difference. You can't get that bright & fresh lemon flavor from bottled lemon juice. With that said, I have had a few readers tell me that they liked bottled lemon juice in the recipe, so if it's something you want to try then go for it. The recipe will still work with bottled lemon juice. But for best results and taste please use fresh lemons. You will need about 2 large lemons for this recipe.
Only zest the top later of the lemon skin
- When you zest the lemon be sure to only zest the very top layer of the lemon. If you zest too deeply into the skin it gets very bitter. Use a citrus zester or the fine side of a cheese grater to do this.
- Do not substitute the buttermilk with regular milk. If you don't have buttermilk try using vinegar + milk to make buttermilk. For 1/2 cup buttermilk you will need 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar + 1/2 cup milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes to sour.
- If you want less lemon flavor use heavy cream or milk for the glaze in place of the lemon juice.
What size pan do I use?
- This recipe can be made in mini loaf pans OR a large 9x5 loaf pan. I prefer the cute mini loafs so that's what I usually end up doing.
How do I drizzle the lemon glaze over top the bread?
- The easiest way is to just dip a fork into the glaze and drizzle it over the bread. You can also put the glaze into a Ziploc bag and snip a very small corner off of the bottom and then glaze it. Doing it this way will produce more even lines.
TRY THESE OTHER LEMON RECIPES
Lemon Zucchini Bread
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 4 mini loaf pans (6"x3 1/2") well with cooking spray. You can also use a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir with a whisk to break up any clumps. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand blender, or a bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and oil and beat together until well combined. About 1 minute until it looks "fluffy" and pale in color.
- Add buttermilk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Blend together until mixed in.
- Add the shredded zucchini and the bowl of dry ingredients into the wet mixture, and stir gently with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined and no flour pockets remain.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 4 mini loaf pans (or 9x5). Cook the mini loaf pans for 30-34 minutes and the 9x5 loaf pan for 40-45 minutes. The bread will look done and when gently pressed with a finger will spring back, a toothpick inserted in the middle will also come out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan and then remove the bread to a cooling rack to cool complete.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and lemon juice with a fork until combined and it's the consistency you want. Add more lemon juice (or milk) if it's too thick and if it gets too runny, add a little bit of powdered sugar. Drizzle the glaze over the bread with a fork or put the glaze into a Ziploc bag and cut the corner.