MONSTER COOKIE BROWNIES
The other day my kids asked for a treat and I am not ever one to say no to baking with my kids. As usual, the treat ended up involving m&m’s and we made these family favorite monster cookie brownies.
I might be in the minority here but I keep a stock supply of mini m&m’s in the pantry, haha! My life will be complete when Costco decided to sell big giant bags of the mini m&m’s.
Because right now my “hoard all the mini m&m’s” practice is a bit expensive….. those small bags of them are like $4.00.
Which in my world is totally worth it because then you can make treats like these monster cookie brownies that combine the best desserts into one bar. Brownies + monster cookies ♥
HOW TO MAKE MONSTER COOKIE BROWNIES
- Start with an easy store bought brownie mix. Prepare the brownie mix according to the instructions on the box. Make sure you are making a 9×13 pan of brownies. Or if you want to be really fancy make my homemade brownie recipe. But trust me, the boxed brownie mix actually tastes fabulous in this recipe and it makes these brownies so easy to make.
- Make the monster cookie dough
- peanut butter
- brown sugar & granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt
- quick oats
- mini chocolate chips
- mini m&m’s
MY HELPFUL TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- I highly suggest you use the miniature chocolate chips and mini m&m’s that the recipe calls for. I feel like the larger size of the regular chocolate chips and m&m’s is overwhelming in most baked goods. Like the chunks are too big compared to the other ingredients. But again, the normal sized chocolate chips and m&m’s can be used.
- Use the real, full-fat creamy peanut butter. Natural peanut butters tend to make baked goods dry.
- For pretty brownies, save some of the m&m’s and sprinkle those on top before you bake them. Gently press them down to make sure they stick.
TRY THESE OTHER MONSTER COOKIE RECIPES
- monster cookie energy bites
- ultimate list of m&m recipes
- no flour monster cookie bars
- the best monster cookies
- reese’s stuffed monster cookies
Easy Monster Cookie Brownies
- 1 box (18.3 oz) milk chocolate brownie mix (plus ingredients called for on box)
Monster Cookie Dough
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup miniature chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup mini m&m's (plus more for on top)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 baking pan and spray with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, or line with tin foil (be sure to spray the tin foil with spray if you use it).
- Prepare brownies according to the direction on the box. Pour brownie batter into the baking pan and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the peanut butter and softened butter. Stir with a fork until combined. Add brown sugar, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Stir with the fork until combined and mixed together.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir just until combined. Add the quick oats, chocolate chips, and m&m's. Stir again until combined.
- Drop spoonful's of the monster cookie dough over the brownie batter OR you can use your hands, grab some cookie dough and flatten it out (as best you can) and lay it on top of the brownie batter. This is how I do it and it gets an even layer on top of the brownies. Either way works just fine!
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until done in the center. Use a toothpick to make sure it's not wet in the center before pulling them out. Mine usually take around 30 minutes to cook to my liking.
- Let cool in the pan for 30 minutes to 1 hour and then cut into squares. Store any leftover covered at room temperature.