Ever since posting this triple layer lemon pudding pie it's quickly become on of the most popular recipes on the blog. I can see why too. It's so simple, simple enough that anyone could make it, it's light and creamy which makes for the perfect dessert because it's not too heavy.
I couldn't wait to create this pumpkin spice pudding version for Fall. And amazingly enough, just like all pumpkin goodies, this is better at least a day after making it. I made mine the night before and then we ate it the following evening. The flavor comes together and the entire pie gets nice and cold.
All you need are 5 ingredients; a prepared pie shell, 2 boxes of pumpkin spice pudding mix, milk, Cool Whip, and cinnamon. So easy, right?
I prefer to use half & half when I make pudding because it's thicker. You can use whatever milk you want, but the higher the fat content the thicker and creamier the pudding will be.
The pumpkin spice instant pudding can be hard to find so when you do see it be sure and grab a few boxes so you have it. The flavor of the pumpkin in this pie is very subtle. So don't be expecting it taste like pumpkin pie. It's more of a pumpkin spice taste. Combine that with the creamy and smooth texture, and you have a fun twist to pumpkin pie that is so light tasting.
This recipe is very adaptable too. If you prefer fresh whipped cream (yum!) simply whip 1 ½ cups heavy cream + 3 tablespoons powdered sugar. Use that instead of the tub of Cool Whip.
If you prefer a homemade crust then feel free to make your own. I actually don't mind the store-bought graham cracker crusts so I always use those. Plus, if you're making this for Thanksgiving chances are you are also making another million dishes, so why not take shortcuts where you can 🙂
I hope you enjoy this pie! If you want more no-bake pie recipes then be sure to check out this black forest cheesecake pie, pecan cream pie or try this peanut butter chocolate or banana pudding version of the cheesecake pie. All are no bake, creamy, simple to make, and perfect for Thanksgiving dessert or anytime really.
No Bake Triple Layer Pumpkin Spice Pudding Pie
- 1 ready-to-use graham cracker crust
- 2 boxes (3.4 oz each) pumpkin spice instant pudding mix
- 2 cups half and half milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 carton (8 oz) Cool Whip thawed
- chopped pecans for garnish optional
- Combine dry pudding mix, half and half milk, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Beat together with a wire whisk, or hand held blender, until thick and creamy. Let it sit for 1-2 minutes so it can thicken. Spread 1 ½ cups into the pie crust (this is the 1st layer).
- To the remaining pudding mix, add 1 ½ cups Cool Whip and stir until combined. Spread over the pudding layer in crust (for the 2nd layer).
- Spread the remaining Cool Whip on top (for the 3rd layer) and cover with the enclosed lid (that came with the graham cracker crust).
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours so the pie can set up and thicken. You can also make it the day ahead and let it refrigerate overnight. Garnish with chopped pecans, if wanted, before serving.