This apple crumble recipe is unlike any other you’ve had before! It uses a package of oatmeal cookie mix which makes for the best and easiest crumble topping!
Tart granny smith apples in buttery cinnamon & brown sugar syrup and topped with an easy pecan oatmeal cookie crumble topping. Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an unforgettable apple dessert.
Every time I make this I tell myself that I need to find a candle that smells just like it! The smell is incredible and will make it feel like Fall time no matter the temperature or season outside.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE WITH OATMEAL COOKIE MIX
Granny Smith Apples – These are the best apples to use in this apple crumble recipe. They are tart which pairs perfectly with the sweet buttery brown sugar syrup the apples cook in & the oatmeal cookie crumble topping.
Brown Sugar, Granulated Sugar, Cinnamon, Chopped Butter – The sliced apples get coated in this mixture. As they bake the butter melts and combines with the brown sugar to create this caramel butter type sauce. It is so delicious!
Oatmeal Cookie Mix – This is from the brand Betty Crocker and it comes in a pouch. You will find it in the baking aisle by the boxed cake mixes and muffin mixes.
TIPS FOR MAKING OATMEAL COOKIE APPLE CRUMBLE
- How do I cut the apples? You can either slice the apples thin or cut them into small pieces. This is what I do – I peel the apple and then cut down around the core so I end up with 4 pieces of apple (and a square core shape that I discard). I then just slice each piece into thin slices of apples. You can also use an apple slicer and then cut each into small chunks. There is no right way to cut the apples, just make sure you peel them, and then either slice them thin or cut them into small pieces.
- Do I have to use Granny Smith Apples? I would say yes you do because they are tart and not sweet which pairs perfectly with the sweet oatmeal cookie crumble topping. If you must use another apple then stick with ones that are not super sweet like Fuji, Gala, or Honeycrisp. I prefer granny smith apples so that is what I have always used.
- After making this dozens of times the only way to serve this is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Trust me! We love vanilla bean ice cream but feel free to use any you love. To save some calories use Halo Top ice cream (which is amazing by the way) or frozen yogurt. The caramel drizzle and chopped pecans are totally optional.
- Be sure and plan ahead to give this dessert about 10 minutes of “rest time” before you serve it. It helps the buttery sauce to thicken and cools it down a bit after being in the oven for so long.
- Can I make this ahead of time? This is best served fresh. Leftovers can be stored on the counter at room temperature. It’s still good when reheated but for best taste and texture make this when you need it and serve with 15-30 minutes of it baking.
TRY THESE OTHER APPLE DESSERTS
- snickerdoodle apple cobbler
- caramel stuffed snickerdoodles
- simple apple crisp
- caramel apple cheesecake bars
- caramel apple muffins
- apple dumplings
- the best apple crisp
Oatmeal Cookie Apple Crumble
- 4 granny smith apples
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons salted butter chopped small
Oatmeal Cookie Crumble
- 1 pouch (17.5 oz) oatmeal cookie mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter melted
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- vanilla ice cream, caramel syrup, chopped pecans optional for serving
- Heat oven to 325°. Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Peel each apple and thinly slice OR chop into small chunks. Place apples into a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and chopped butter into the apples and stir until all the apples are coated in the cinnamon & sugar mixture. Dump the apples into the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
- In the same bowl combine the oatmeal cookie mix, melted butter, and chopped pecans. Stir together until thick crumbles form. Sprinkle it over the apples in the baking dish. * DO NOT prepare the cookie mix according to package directions before adding it into the bowl. Just dump the dry contents from the pouch.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until apples are at desired cook, the topping is a light golden brown, and the edges are bubbly.
- Let the apple crumble sit and rest for 10-15 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream, caramel syrup, and additional chopped pecans (if desired).