Berry Crisp Dump Cake is only 5 ingredients and made in just one pan! Frozen mixed berries topped with an easy cake mix, oatmeal, walnuts, and melted butter crisp. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream for a delicious and easy dessert recipe.
BERRY CRISP DUMP CAKE RECIPE
This berry crisp dump cake is the best of both worlds. An easy dump cake recipe that you literally dump into one pan and bake it + a crispy and crumbly buttery topping. You cannot make this dump cake recipe and not serve it with vanilla ice cream. It's crazy delicious and you won't believe how easy it is to make!
One of the things that I have never liked about dump cakes is that when you sprinkle the cake mix on top and then drizzle with melted butter you end up with some dry pockets of cake mix. I knew there had to be a better way. Which is why I experimented and ended up with this delicious version of the classic dump cake topped with a crispy oat and walnut buttery cake mix topping.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE A BERRY CRISP DUMP CAKE
You only need 5 easy ingredients to make this dump cake recipe. I love that this recipe uses frozen berries because it seems whenever I buy fresh berries for a recipe the berries are always bad before I have a chance to use them. Plus fresh berries can cost a small fortune, especially when you are getting four different kinds, so that's another reason I love using frozen berries.
Frozen mixed berries can be kept in the freezer for several months, as well as a box of cake mix, so this berry crisp dump cake is an easy dessert recipe that you can keep all the ingredients you need for it so you have it ready to go.
Frozen Mixed Berries - This is a pack of frozen mixed berries with raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries. No need to thaw this, just dump it into the pan straight from the freezer.
French Vanilla Cake Mix - I have tested this recipe so many times and the French vanilla (or just vanilla) cake mix tastes so much better. In a pinch you can substitute with a yellow cake mix but I highly recommend the French vanilla for the best flavor.
Oats - You can use either whole old-fashioned oats or quick oats in this recipe. I normally use old-fashioned oats because I like the larger texture in this dump cake crisp topping.
Chopped Walnuts - Balances out the sweetness and adds a depth of flavor. I normally add more than what the recipe calls for!
Salted Butter - It is best to use salted butter as the extra salt helps balance out the sweetness from the cake mix. Feel free to use unsalted butter if you'd rather. It will still work out fine.
HOW TO MAKE A DUMP CAKE
This is called a 'dump cake' because you dump the ingredients into one pan. Only three easy steps needed.
- Dump the frozen berries straight from the freezer into the 9x13 baking dish. Do not thaw them before. Just dump them in completely frozen.
- Combine all the cake mix crisp topping ingredients in a large bowl (mix until thick crumbles form) and then dump it on top of the berries.
- Bake until browned and the berries are bubbling and juicy. Don't forget to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It's a must!
MY TIPS & HELPFUL HINTS FOR MAKING A DUMP CAKE RECIPE
What do I do with leftovers of this berry crisp dump cake?
- This recipe is best served right away but if you have leftovers that you want to keep simply cover the pan with plastic wrap or tin foil and refrigerate it for 2-3 days. Heat a serving up in the microwave as needed and top with vanilla ice cream.
- I say it's best the day you make it because the topping stays crisp and the berries are juicy. As leftovers sit in the fridge the crisp cake mix topping will soften up.
Should I use salted butter or unsalted butter in this recipe?
- Use salted butter for best results. I think the salted butter adds more flavor and helps to balance out the sweetness from the cake mix.
- Of course you can use unsalted of you prefer as it will still turn out fine in this recipe.
Can I use a different nut?
- Yes you can. Use whatever nut you prefer like almonds or pecans are great choices. I personally think it tastes best with chopped walnuts but any nut will work just fine.
What kind of cake mix do I use in a dump cake recipe?
- I think the French vanilla flavored cake mix is the best!
- If you can't find it then a yellow cake mix is a good alternative but try to find that French vanilla cake mix. It's also sometimes just vanilla depending on the brand.
- Any brand of cake mix will work just fine in this recipe. Just make sure it's the standard sized box as called for in the recipe (15.25 oz).
- I have never tried this with a sugar-free cake mix so you will have to experiment with that. I assume it would work fine but again I have never personally used a sugar-free cake mix.
TRY THESE OTHER CRISP DESSERT RECIPES
Simple Apple Crisp - Fresh sliced apples topped with a simple shortbread like crisp topping.
Peach Blueberry Crisp - Fresh blueberries and fresh sliced peaches topped with a sweet cinnamon crisp topping.
Strawberry Raspberry Crumble - Fresh strawberries + raspberries topped with a thick and buttery crumbly topping.
Berry Crisp Dump Cake
- 2 bags (12-15 oz each) frozen mixed berries
- 1 box (15.25 oz) french vanilla cake mix
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter melted
- Heat oven to 350° and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread out frozen berries in the bottom of the dish (DO NOT thaw the berries beforehand).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix (DO NOT prepare beforehand), oats, walnuts, and melted butter. Stir together until thick crumbles form. Sprinkle evenly over the frozen berries.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes. Crisp topping will be a golden brown and the berries will be bubbling.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.