Berry crisp dump cake is only 5 ingredients and one pan! Juicy mixed berries covered in an easy cake mix, oatmeal, walnuts, and melted butter mixture. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delicious dessert.
DUMP CAKE RECIPE
I realize that calling this a ‘dump cake’ is not the most appealing name in the world. But, if you’re familiar with a traditional ‘dump cake’ it usually involves a cake mix (yay for easy, right?!) that gets sprinkled on top of something in a baking dish.
One of the things that I have never liked about dump cakes is that when you sprinkle the cake mix on top and then drizzle with melted butter, you end up with some dry pockets of cake mix.
I knew there had to be a better way. Which is why I experimented and ended up with this delicious version of the classic dump cake.
INGREDIENTS FOR A DUMP CAKE
- frozen mixed berries
- cake mix
It could not be easier! The walnuts add some much needed salt to the already sweet cake mix, and the oats add this amazing texture that pairs so nicely with the buttery cake mix.
I’m obsessed with all things crisps, cobblers, and crumbles so it was no wonder this was a hit.
I love using frozen berries because you don’t have to worry about spending a small fortune on fresh berries or trying to hurry up and use them before they go bad (which is always my problem).
HOW TO MAKE BERRY CRISP DUMP CAKE
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and dump the frozen berries (straight from the bag, DO NOT thaw) and spread them out into the pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine the cake mix, oats, walnuts, and melted butter. Stir that until it resembles a coarse crumb mixture. Sprinkle it evenly over the berries and bake!
- Promise me you’ll serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Words can’t describe the deliciousness 🙂
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Please be sure you are using SALTED BUTTER. You need that salt to balance out the sweetness from the cake mix.
- You can use pecans in place of the walnuts if that’s what you prefer.
- Use a yellow cake mix or a French vanilla cake mix. Both are really good in this recipe.
- Old-fashioned or quick oats will both work in this recipe. I prefer the old-fashioned because they are bigger and give more texture to the dish.
- Frozen mixed berries usually include blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
TRY THESE OTHER DUMP CAKE RECIPES
Berry Crisp Dump Cake
- 2 bags (12-15 oz each) frozen mixed berries
- 1 box (15.25 oz) yellow OR french vanilla cake mix
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
Heat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Spread out frozen berries in the bottom of the dish. DO NOT thaw the berries beforehand.
In a mixing bowl, combine yellow cake mix (DO NOT prepare), oats, walnuts, and melted butter. Stir together until thick crumbles form. Sprinkle evenly over the frozen berries.
Cook for 50-55 minutes. Crisp topping will be a golden brown and the berries will be bubbling.
Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
You can use old-fashioned oats OR quick oats in this recipe. Old-fashioned oats provide more texture because of their size, but either will work just fine.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST