This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Pineapple Chicken Salad Recipe (Chicken Salad Sandwiches)
This pineapple chicken salad is one of my very favorite summer recipes to make for dinner. It’s so easy to make in the morning and then it’s ready for dinner that night or take it with you to the park. And the leftovers are just fabulous!
I first posted this recipe for pineapple chicken salad sandwiches back in 2015 when I started this blog of mine. It continues to be made all the time still. I recently just made it the other day and took it camping for an easy, no cook dinner.
How To Make Pineapple Chicken Salad (Step-by-Step Directions and Recipe Card)
- Rotisserie Chicken – I always use a rotisserie chicken for chicken salad because it’s flavored really well and it’s easy. I get mine at Costco but you can also just pick up one at the grocery store. The ones in the grocery stores are smaller so you may need 2-3 of them. If you would rather use some chunked chicken breasts then you will need about 4 cups of it.
- Crushed Pineapple – Kind of weird but trust me, it’s amazing in chicken salad! Be sure and drain it really well before adding it into the salad. I suggest taking the back of a spoon and pressing down on the pineapple in the colander to really squeeze out any excess juice. You will also save about 1-2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice for the dressing.
- Slivered Almonds
- Diced Celery
- Green Onion
- Red Grapes – Cut each grape in half or into smaller pieces if the grapes are really large.
- Mayonnaise, Cream Cheese, Worcestershire Sauce, Garlic Powder, Pineapple Juice, Salt & Pepper – This is what you need for the dressing. Make sure that the cream cheese is very softened so you don’t end up with lumps in the dressing. I use regular, full-fat mayonnaise because I think it tastes better but feel free to use light if wanted. You can also use light cream cheese if wanted.
Helpful Tips For Success
– Our absolute favorite way to eat this is on croissants. The flaky, buttery croissant pairs so nicely with this chicken salad. You can also serve it with rolls as well.
– Drain the pineapple really well. I like to press the back of a spoon into the pineapple (while it’s draining in the colander) to really press out all the juice. Be sure and save about 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice for the dressing.
– Soften cream cheese well before using. I place the unwrapped bar on a microwave safe plate and microwave it for about 25 seconds. This way it’s nice and soft (without being too warm) and it will mix nicely in with the dressing ingredients with no lumps.
– For best flavor make sure and refrigerate this chicken salad for at least 3-4 hours before serving. It needs time for the flavors to deepen and for the chicken salad to thicken up slightly. The leftovers are so delicious and will last for about 3-4 days after you make it.
More Chicken Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- Dill Pickle Chicken Salad
- Apple Walnut Chicken Salad
- Poppyseed Chicken Salad
- Santa Fe Chicken Salad Wraps
- Million Dollar Chicken Salad
- Hot Chicken Salad French Bread Sandwiches
Pineapple Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Pineapple Chicken Salad
- 1 rotisserie chicken 4 cups chunked chicken
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1½ cups halved red grapes
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 small bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple drained well (reserve 2 tablespoons of juice)
- 1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice (from when you drained the pineapple)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the chicken salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together to combine.1 rotisserie chicken, 1 cup thinly sliced celery, 1½ cups halved red grapes, 1 cup slivered almonds, 1 small bunch green onions, 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple
- In a separate smaller mixing bowl combine all the creamy dressing ingredients. Stir together with a whisk or you you can use a handheld blender to beat it.1 bar (8 oz) cream cheese, 1 cup mayonnaise, 1-2 tablespoons reserved pineapple juice, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Pour the dressing into the chicken salad mixture and stir together until combined and mixed well.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. This chicken salad does really well in the fridge without drying out at all, so it can even be made ahead of time too. Serve in croissants, rolls, or other bread of choice.