Chicken salad with sweet pineapple, red grapes, green onions, almonds, and celery all covered in a creamy dressing. Serve in croissant rolls or in your favorite bread roll. Perfect for a summertime dinner because you don’t even have to turn on the oven! These pineapple chicken salad sandwiches are a favorite of everyone that tries them.
I love chicken salad. I have never eaten a chicken salad I didn’t like. There are so many variations out there and because of that, I have tried many different recipes. These pineapple chicken salad sandwiches is the recipe that I always come back to and make over and over again. It is our favorite!
It’s creamy and has so much texture with the celery, grapes, almonds, and tender chicken. Plus, it’s best after it sits in the fridge for a few hours so it’s one of those meals that you can make in the morning and when it’s dinnertime you just pull it out of the fridge and eat. It’s so easy!
If your house is anything like mine, everyone is in a sugar induced coma from all the Easter festivities; egg hunts, Easter baskets, dessert….. This chicken salad is the perfect fix.
I was intrigued with the cream cheese and crushed pineapple in this recipe, but after trying it I now cannot have chicken salad any other way. The pineapple & grapes adds a bit of sweetness, the celery and almonds add a nice crunchy texture, and the cream cheese gives such a creaminess to the salad.
Serve these with croissants (it’s a must!) and you have an easy dinner that can be made ahead of time and does not use any heat. Which is perfect for summertime dinner when it’s already so hot outside.
I usually make these in the morning and let it sit in the fridge all day. When it’s time for dinner just pull it out and serve up some sandwiches.
They’re really easy to make too! Combine the chunked (or shredded) chicken, celery, almonds, red grapes, crushed pineapple, and green onion in a large mixing bowl.
Make sure your crushed pineapple is drained well. I suggest dumping the can into a colander (not one with large holes in it) and then use the back of a spoon and press down on the pineapple to release the juices. It does not have to be completely dry, jut not sopping wet and dripping pineapple juice all over.
In a separate bowl combine the creamy dressing ingredients; cream cheese, mayo, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder.
I was skeptical about the Worcestershire sauce the first time I made this. I am not a big fan of it. But I promise that the flavor is not overwhelming and it really adds so much to this chicken salad.
Pour the dressing into the larger bowl with the chicken mixture. Stir together and that’s it!
Cover with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for 2-3 hours for best flavor. You can serve it right away but it’s much better after it’s been sitting in the fridge and getting nice and cold.
Serve on croissant rolls or bread/rolls of your choice!
These sandwiches are also great for picnics at the park, or on those nights that you need to eat a quick dinner before sports practices or other activities. I like to serve these with chips.
Be sure to try these other chicken salads as well :
- dill pickle chicken salad sandwiches
- cashew chicken salad wraps
- santa fe chicken salad wraps
- tropical chicken salad
Watch the recipe video to see how to make pineapple chicken salad sandwiches
Pineapple Chicken Salad Sandwiches
pineapple chicken salad
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (about 4 cups shredded chicken)
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups red grapes, halved
- 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or use 1/4 teaspoon depending on preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the chicken salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a seperate smaller mixing bowl, combine all the creamy dressing ingredients. Stir together until combined. Pour the dressing into the chicken salad mixture and stir together until combined and mixed well.
- Cover and let sit in the fridge for 4-6 hours for best taste. Serve in croissants, rolls, or other bread of choice.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST