SWEET N’ SALTY ROCKY ROAD BARS
These rocky road bars with a salty pretzel crust, roasted marshmallows, and melted milk chocolate have good memories for me. I first posted this recipe over 5 years ago when I started this food blog. I posted them after making them for 2 year old daughter’s birthday (she is now 8!). I used a number 2 cookie cutter to make shapes out of these bars for her party ♥
I knew I needed to update the recipe with better pictures and share again because these bars are salty, sweet, chocolatey, gooey, reminiscent of s’mores, and they are just so darn easy to make too.
HOW TO MAKE THESE SWEET & SALTY BARS
Crushed Pretzels – Take whatever shape of pretzels you have or what you can find at the store and crush them into fine pieces. The best way to get fine crumbs is to use a food chopper or food processor. But a Ziploc bag and a meat pounder (or rolling pin) is another easy way to do it as well. The finer and smaller the crumbs then the better the crust holds together. So try to get them as small as possible.
Salted Butter – This recipe calls for 12 tablespoons of butter which is equal to 1 1/2 sticks of butter. Melt it in the microwave.
Sweetened Condensed Milk – For best taste please do not use the light or reduced-fat condensed milk. Go for the real stuff.
Milk Chocolate Chips – If you’re not a fan of sweet desserts then feel free to replace these with semi-sweet chips or you can do half and half.
These sweet n’ salty rocky road bars remind me of s’mores so if you like s’mores then you will love these bars.
TRY THESE OTHER DESSERT RECIPES THAT USE SALTY PRETZELS
- strawberry pretzel salad
- kitchen sink cookies
- sweet & salty dark chocolate bark
- strawberry pretzel icebox pie
- peanut butter pie with chocolate pretzel crust
Sweet n' Salty Rocky Road Bars
- 1¾ cup finely crushed pretzels
- 12 tablespoons salted butter melted
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 bag (10 oz) milk chocolate chips
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 350°. Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray or lining with tin foil or parchment paper. *I like to spray the tin foil or parchment paper with cooking spray to ensure that the sticky marshmallows don't stick too bad.
- In a small mixing bowl combine crushed pretzels and melted butter. Stir together well. Dump into the prepared pan and press out firmly into the pan to form a crust.
- Evenly pour the sweetened condensed milk over the pretzel crust. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over top. Then sprinkle the marshmallows over the chips. Lastly, sprinkle the top with the chopped pecans. Press down gently.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until marshmallows and edges are golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and enjoy! Leftovers will keep well, covered at room temperature, for several days.