Get ready for summer with these delicious S’mores Cookie Bars. Graham cracker cookie dough is layered with marshmallow cream and Hershey milk chocolate bars for a dessert that is reminiscent of everyone’s campfire favorite treat.
We love us some s’mores around here. There is nothing that beats a s’more during the summertime. And if I can get the classic s’mores treat without that campfire smell that I dread, then I am all over it.
Everything you love about a s’more but in bar form and it require no campfire and no sticky mess all over the place. Well maybe still some sticky mess depending on how messy of an eater you are or your kids, haha 🙂
My kids are kind of funny about s’mores. They love s’mores but they refuse to eat the “gooey white stuff”. Which is so odd to me because that is every kids favorite part I thought. They like roasting marshmallows but hate the smell of the campfire (they get that from me). And they usually just end up eating the chocolate bars plain and nothing else.
Luckily they will eat s’mores if I make a treat at home. We also really enjoy these peanut butter s’mores bars too. They are so incredibly easy to make and only require like 5 ingredients. The base is a store-bough peanut butter cookie dough.
These s’mores cookie cups have long been a favorite around my house. I literally take them to every single gathering we have during the summer. Kids love them, adults can’t get enough of them, and they are cute little popable treats that are easy to make and even easier to eat several of them…. not speaking from experience or anything like that!
But I think I may just have to start taking these s’more cookie bars instead because we can’t get enough of them. These cookie bars use marshmallow cream which is ideal if you’re baking in the oven because the cream will not melt all over and dissolve like marshmallows would in the oven. The s’mores cookie cup use a marshmallow because you are only toasting them, not baking it in the oven.
How to make S’mores Cookie Bars
- Mix up a simple graham cracker cookie dough. All your basic cookie dough ingredients; butter, sugars, egg, vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, etc. But instead of using all flour we are going to also add in some finely crushed graham cracker crumbs to get that classic s’more taste.
- Press most of that cookie dough into the bottom of a 9″ baking pan. Reserve, and set aside, about 1 cup for the top layer.
- You are then going to lay 6 milk chocolate Hershey bars over the cookie dough layer. 6 of them! 🙂 You will probably need to break apart at least one of the bars so you can cover the cookie dough layer (for the most part).
- Spread marshmallow cream over the chocolate bars.
- Sprinkle the reserved cookie dough over the marshmallow cream and then gently press down.
- Let them bake and cool, and then cut into bars and enjoy!
Tips for making S’mores Cookie Bars
- I find that buying a box of graham cracker crumbs is the way to go. It involves less dishes and the store bought ones come already really finely ground up, which is what you want. You do not wasn’t chunks of graham crackers in the cookie dough. But yes, of course you can ground up your own from graham crackers. Simply use a food processor or place them in a Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin or meat pounder to get them in really finely ground pieces.
- Please, please use the marshmallow cream. If you use mini marshmallows I promise you that the bars will not work out. Marshmallows will melt to the point that you are left with nothing. Which means you will not end up with the classic s’mores taste with the gooey marshmallow center. The marshmallow cream stays as is even while baking in the oven.
- It is much easier to spread the marshmallow cream over a whole Hershey chocolate bar. So try to keep the bars intact as much as possible. You will have to break up at least one bar to make sure that every area is for the most part covered with chocolate.
I hope you all get the chance to try these at least once this summer! I literally had to hide the leftovers just so I would not eat them ALL. Because I knew once my son came home from school that these s’mores bars would be gone within seconds and they would not be tempting me anymore. . He proved me right 🙂
Get ready for summer with these delicious S'mores Cookie Bars. Graham cracker cookie dough is layered with marshmallow cream and Hershey milk chocolate bars for a dessert that is reminiscent of everyone's campfire favorite treat.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 Hershey Milk Chocolate bars (1.55 oz each)
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow cream
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9-inch square baking pan by spraying with cooking spray or lining it with parchment paper. I prefer to use parchment paper with the sides over hanging, that way when it comes time to cut you just lift the bars out of the pan and then cut into perfect squares that serve easily.
In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer) cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. About 1-2 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add the flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Beat together on low speed just until combined. The dough will be crumbly and that's ok. Set aside 1 cup of cookie dough for topping.
Press the remaining into the prepared 9-inch square baking pan and press down to form a crust.
Arrange Hershey milk chocolate bars over the graham cracker crust. You may have to break one or two into the square pieces to ensure that everything gets covered.
Drop spoonful's of the marshmallow cream over the chocolate and then spread out as best as you can. It won't look pretty and that's fine. Sprinkle the reserved cookie dough on top and gently press down.
Cook for 23-25 minutes. The edges will be golden brown. Let cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes or longer.
If you want a gooey chocolate s'more then serve within 30 minutes of making these bars after they've had a chance to cool down. As the bars get closer to room temperature the chocolate does get more solid. It's still delicious!
My s'mores cookie bars were perfect at 24 minutes.
Make sure to save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST