Thai Coconut Grilled Chicken is marinated in coconut milk, lime, curry powder, and other spices for the best flavor.
THAI COCONUT GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPE
I am a sucker for any recipe that calls for coconut milk. Add in some fresh lime + curry powder and it's basically guaranteed to be an instant hit.
Once summer and the warm temperatures hit I always crave grilled chicken. This thai coconut chicken is my absolute favorite (and most delicious!) way to enjoy grilling season.
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts. I prefer this cut of meat because it's leaner but you could (if wanted) try experimenting with using chicken thighs if that's your thing. You will need about 2 pounds of chicken for this recipe which is equal to roughly 4-5 chicken breasts.
Coconut Milk. Full-fat coconut milk is preferred in this recipe. Yes you can substitute with lite coconut milk but you won't get that rich, creamy full coconut flavor with it.
Curry Powder. Not all curry powders are the same. I use the basic brownish colored curry ginger by McCormick Spice.
Lime Zest & Lime Juice. Please use a real lime. Not lime juice from a bottle. Be sure and zest it before squeezing the juice out.
Brown Sugar. I think this is a very necessary ingredient when making Thai dishes with strong flavors but you can reduce this if wanted.
Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce. Make sure you are buying and using the reduced-sodium soy sauce. If not, the dish will definitely be way too salty.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- Use fresh lime zest & lime juice. Not the bottled stuff!
- If wanted, set aside 1/2 cup (give or take) of the marinade before adding the raw chicken. You can use this reserve sauce to brush over the chicken when it's grilling or use it as a sauce to drizzle over the grilled chicken when serving. I prefer my grilled chicken on the drier side so I never reserve the sauce, but you can if that's what you prefer.
- It's best to marinate overnight but as long as the chicken is in the fridge for at least 8 hours then it will be good to go. The longer it marinates the better!
- I love to make some coconut rice or my cilantro lime rice to serve alongside with this grilled chicken.
Thai Coconut Grilled Chicken
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2-3 pounds)
- 1 can (15 oz) coconut milk
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- zest & juice of 1 lime
- Add chicken breasts into a gallon size Ziploc bag. Add the remaining marinade ingredients and close the bag. Use your hands to squish and mix everything until the chicken is coated.
- Let refrigerate and marinate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready, fire up the grill and cook the chicken until it's up to temperature.
TRY THESE OTHER FABULOUS GRILLED RECIPES
- Pesto Chicken - Together as Family
- Honey Lime Cilantro Grilled Chicken - Together as Family
- Grilled Chicken Marinade - Courtney's Sweets
- Tandoori Chicken Burgers - 4 Son's R Us
- Lemon Pepper Chicken - Tornadough Alli
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST