APPLESAUCE QUICK BREAD RECIPE
These days I seem to be all about carbs. Maybe it’s due to the fact that we have not left the house in weeks and I am currently stuck inside with my 4 kids.
This super moist, deliciously soft applesauce bread has been made a couple of times already and we can’t get enough. You won’t believe how soft this quick bread bakes up and that oatmeal crumble topping just makes it perfect.
APPLESAUCE BREAD WITH STREUSEL TOPPING
This applesauce bread has 2 cups of applesauce in it! Which not only makes it super moist, but it gives it that apple flavor without chunks of apple.
The crunchy oatmeal cinnamon streusel topping is incredible. My kids like to just pick the streusel topping off sometimes.
HOW TO MAKE APPLESAUCE BREAD
First you will mix up a simple quick bread batter with all the usual ingredients; flour, sugar, oil, eggs, salt, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, and applesauce.
Then in a separate bowl combine all the cinnamon streusel ingredients. You can use two large loaf pans (9″x5″) OR six small/mini loaf pans (3″x5″).
Pour the batter evenly between the loaf pans and then sprinkle the streusel topping on top. Bake in the oven and just wait for that cinnamon apple smell to fill your house.
You will probably have to loosely lay a piece of tin foil over the loaf pans during the last 15-20 minutes of bake time. This will prevent the tops from getting too browned.
MY TIPS FOR THIS RECIPE
- If you don’t have buttermilk then go ahead and use sour cream in it’s place.
- You can use sweetened or unsweetened applesauce. I have used both and they both are great. Using sweetened applesauce lends to a slightly sweet bread.
- If all you have is cinnamon flavored applesauce then I would reduce the ground cinnamon (in the bread batter) by a bit. Maybe 1/2 teaspoon or more depending on how strong the cinnamon taste is in the applesauce.
- I use unbleached all-purpose flour for this recipe and all recipes actually. If you want to use whole wheat then I would suggest using the white whole wheat flour or using half whole wheat flour + half all-purpose flour. Using all whole wheat flour tends to make baked goods really dense.
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS QUICK BREAD RECIPES
- one bowl applesauce muffins
- cinnamon & sugar banana bread muffins
- whole grain cinnamon applesauce bread
- mini chocolate chip muffins
- oatmeal chocolate chip quick bread
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup quick oats (old-fashioned oats can also be used)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, soft & melted slightly (see notes)
- Heat oven to 325°. Prepare two loaf pans (9-inch x 5-inch) OR six small loaf pans (3-inch x 5-inch) and spray with cooking spray or Baker's Joy (cooking spray + flour).
- In a large bowl, add granulated sugar, oil, and eggs. Mix together with a wire whisk until combined and smooth. Add the applesauce and buttermilk. Mix together until combined.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Stir together with a spatula or wooden spoon just until combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Each loaf pan should be a little over halfway filled with batter.
- To make the streusel topping combine all ingredients into a small bowl. Use your hand or a small spoon to mix it all together until it forms a crumb mixture. Sprinkle over top the batter in the loaf pans.
- ** To get butter soft & slightly melted, microwave for 35 seconds and then add it to the streusel mixture.
- Cook the large loaf pans for 60-70 minutes (mine was done at 60 minutes) OR cook the small loaf pans for 30-40 minutes.
- ** You may want to loosely lay a piece of tin foil over the bread during the last 15 minutes of cook time to prevent over browning.
- Let cool in the loaf pan for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Extras can be stored, covered, at room temperature.
recipe found and adapted from Creations by Kara