This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls take 30 minutes to make and are perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. Ground chicken, broccoli, and carrots simmer on the stove top in a delicious and simple teriyaki sauce. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions!
For a ground beef version of this recipe try these Ground Beef Teriyaki Rice Bowls.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls Recipe (with Ground Chicken)
These teriyaki chicken rice bowls just happen to be one of my favorite dinner recipes to make. The sweet thick sauce, veggie chunks, and ground chicken over some rice is basically dinnertime perfection.
These rice bowls are also a kid favorite because you serve it over rice and I am pretty sure all kids love rice.
It’s a dinner you can feel good about serving the kids. Lean protein rich ground chicken and fresh veggies. I have an easier time feeding my kids vegetables if they’re mixed in with something, like this teriyaki sauce.
Ingredients Needed To Make Ground Chicken Teriyaki
- Teriyaki Sauce : These are the ingredients you will need to prepare the simple, homemade sweet teriyaki sauce.
- Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
- Light Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Rice Vinegar
- Garlic Clove – Use a fresh garlic cloves that has been minced or pressed, use chopped garlic from a jar, or garlic paste.
- Ground Ginger
- Cornstarch + Warm Water – This helps to thicken the teriyaki sauce.
- Ground Chicken + Veggies : This is the mixture that cooks in the skillet pan before adding in the teriyakis sauce.
- Ground Chicken
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Cloves
- Chopped Fresh Broccoli
- Sliced Baby Carrots
How to Make Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls (Step-by-Step Directions)
- Teriyaki Sauce : Combine all the teriyaki sauce ingredients in a saucepan, over medium heat, and let it cook for a few minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cornstarch Slurry : Mix together the cornstarch and warm water in a separate bowl. Add it into the teriyaki sauce and let it come to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to LOW and let it simmer while you prepare the rest. If it gets too thick, simply take it off the heat.
- Ground Chicken : In a large skillet pan, over medium-high heat, add the ground chicken, onion powder, and garlic. Cook and crumble until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Veggies : Add in the chopped broccoli and sliced carrots. Stir well.
- Combine : Pour the thickened teriyaki sauce into the skillet pan and stir. Let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. You may need to turn the heat down to low if it’s boiling and getting too hot.
These are ‘rice bowls’ so you want to make sure to cook up some white rice on the stove top, in a rice cooker, or try this Instant Pot White Rice. Garnish the teriyaki chicken rice bowls with sliced green onions and sesame seeds. I also love to make sure and drizzle some extra teriyaki sauce over top!
If you don’t want to do rice try using brown rice, cauliflower rice, quinoa, or serve it as lettuce wraps inside some iceberg lettuce or bib lettuce.
My Tips For Success
- Small Veggies : It’s really important to cut the broccoli and carrots into small, similar sized cuts. I recommend using baby carrots because they’re already small and peeled, so all you have to do is slice them thin. Cut the broccoli into small pieces to ensure that the veggies soften in the cook time given.
- Prepare Ahead of Time : Chop up the broccoli and carrots so they are ready to go once the ground chicken is cooked.
- Teriyaki Sauce Tip : The sauce can stay on LOW heat on the stove burner while you cook the ground chicken and veggies. If it’s getting too hot and boiling, or gettin super thick, simply remove it from the heat.
- Leftovers : Store leftovers inside an airtight container, in the fridge, for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave. I usually just store a serving of the teriyaki chicken + some cooked rice in the same container.
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (minced, pressed, or chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic (minced, pressed, or chopped)
- 1½ cups finely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
- cooked white rice for serving
- chopped green onions & sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Combine soy sauce, water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until sugar is dissolved.1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, 1/3 cup water, 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 clove garlic, 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Once sugar is dissolved, mix together the cornstarch and water and pour that in. Stir and let it come to a low boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer while you cook the meat.1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons warm water
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add ground chicken, onion powder and garlic. Cook and crumble until the meat is no longer pink.1 pound ground chicken, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 cloves garlic
- Add in the broccoli and carrots and stir well.1½ cups finely chopped broccoli, 3/4 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
- Pour the thickened teriyaki sauce into the veggies and meat, stir and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. * You may have to turn the heat to low if it's boiling or getting too hot.
- Serve over cooked white rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.cooked white rice for serving, chopped green onions & sesame seeds