TERIYAKI CHICKEN RICE BOWLS
These teriyaki chicken rice bowls just happen to be one of my favorite dinner recipes to make. The sweet thick sauce over some rice is basically dinnertime perfection.
These rice bowls are also a kid favorite because you serve it over rice and I am pretty sure all kids love rice. You can even go low carb and eat just the meat mixture or eat it as a lettuce wrap.
I’ve had the leftovers over some chopped lettuce and it’s really good that way too.
It’s a dinner you can feel good about serving the kids. Lean protein rich ground chicken and fresh veggies. I have an easier time feeding my kids vegetables if they’re mixed in with something, like this teriyaki sauce.
There are so many options of what to serve this with. I always cook up some white rice but brown rice, quinoa, or even cauliflower rice would all be great too.
It’s also fun to buy some frozen egg rolls and cook those up to go with these teriyaki chicken rice bowls.
You will need some ground chicken, along with the ingredients for the homemade teriyaki sauce, finely chopped carrots and broccoli.
Prepare the teriyaki sauce in a saucepan on the stove top. While that is simmering, cook the ground chicken along with some garlic and onion powder. Once it’s cooked, add in the chopped veggies and the teriyaki sauce.
Let that simmer for about 10-15 minutes so the flavors can come together and the veggies can get softer.
MY TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
- The most important thing is to CUT THE VEGGIES SMALL. I love using baby carrots. They’re already peeled and small, so just slice them really thinly and you’re good to go.
- I have never used frozen broccoli in this recipe and I would not recommend it. I think it would produce too much water.
- Have the vegetables chopped and ready to go before you get the ground chicken cooking. The chicken will cook fast.
This stuff smells so good. I wish sometimes my blog had one of those ‘scratch n sniff’ things on the pictures. That would be awesome.
It’s crazy that with only a few ingredients you can have a yummy, flavorful, and easy dinner on the table.
TRY THESE OTHER RICE BOWL RECIPES
- orange chicken meatball rice bowls
- turkey taco burrito bowls
- honey cilantro lime grilled chicken rice bowls
- easy korean beef rice bowls
Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed I use garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger I use ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- cooked rice for serving
- chopped green onions, sesame seeds
- Combine soy sauce, water, brown sugar, granulated sugar, rice vinegar, garlic and ginger in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, mix together the cornstarch and water and pour that in. Stir and let it come to a low boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer while you cook the meat.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat add ground chicken, onion powder and garlic. Cook and crumble until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add grated carrots and chopped broccoli and stir well. Pour the thickened teriyaki sauce into the veggies and meat, stir and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. You may have to turn the heat to low if it's boiling or getting too hot.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST