Sweet Hawaiian rolls with creamy mayo, layered high with deli sliced honey ham, shredded cheese and then smothered in the most amazing buttery poppy seed sauce! These will become a regular at your dinner table.
These baked ham & cheese sliders are in my top 5 dinners. They are so yummy! The mix of ingredients you may think would not go together but trust me, they do and it is crazy delicious. Mustard, poppy seeds, dried onion, butter, mayo…… These things on their own I don’t care for but slathered on top of these warm sliders I could seriously eat them All. Day!
Most grocery stores sell the Kings Hawaiian Rolls in a 12-pk or go buy a giant pack from Sam’s Club or Costco. I always do that because then there are extras for my son’s lunch during the week. I always buy 2 packs if I get them from a grocery store because 12 will not fill up the baking dish and I am a perfectionist like that when it comes to cooking and baking. It’s got to be even and look good 🙂
There really are no exact measurements, except for the sauce of course, follow that one exactly. If you like major buttery goodness then double the sauce recipe. I think it’s too much but I know some may love that.
Also, I’ve made these dozens and dozens of times and I have found that getting fresh sliced honey ham from the deli counter is the best way to go. And, lots of times it’s even cheaper than the pre-sliced stuff in the refrigerated section. Yay!
You can either shred some Swiss cheese (1 8 oz block) or you can buy the pre-sliced Swiss cheese and then cut each into 4 squares and then put 2 little pieces on each slider bun. I prefer the shredded but again, whatever you want and whichever one is easier for you 🙂
Here is a tip to get really good shaved deli meat: I always ask them to 'shave it thin' or to "chip it". You will end up with really fine shreds of meat and it is really good on these rolls. I don't care for the thick sliced ham like you would use on a sandwich, for these rolls.
- 15 Hawaiian slider rolls
- 1 lb fresh shaved deli honey ham
- 1 block (8 oz) Swiss cheese, shredded
- mayonnaise (as much or as little as you want)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each slider roll in half and place the bottom half into a 9x13 baking dish. Line them up 5 rows that have 3 in each. Set aside the tops of each slider roll. Sometimes you can squish 18 rolls into a pan.
- Slather each roll with some mayonnaise. Use as little or as much as you want.
- Layer the deli meat on top of each roll. Pile the shredded Swiss cheese on top of the meat. Replace the sliders tops onto each roll. Gently press down.
- In small bowl combine all the ingredients fro the sauce and mix together with a fork. Using a kitchen brush, or just spoon some on top of each roll, brush the butter sauce on the tops of each roll and let some soak down into the sides also. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes or until the butter starts to set and harden.
- Cover with tin foil. Cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and let cook 3 minutes longer.
- Eat warm! These tend to get cold fast so eat right away.
♥ PIN this image for later ♥
Want more easy dinner ideas? Check out these other family favorites!