This post may contain affiliate links, view our disclosure policy.
Bacon Wrapped Little Smokies (also called ‘meat candy’) are little smokies sausages wrapped in bacon and then topped with a sweet brown sugar glaze that caramelizes while baking. It’s the perfect appetizer for a holiday gathering or for game day!
Bacon-Wrapped Little Smokies Recipe With Brown Sugar
Bacon wrapped smokies are the perfect finger food for game day, gatherings, or an easy appetizer for holiday parties. They always seem to make an appearance at Thanksgiving too!
Cocktail sausages with a sweet & sticky brown sugar glaze, crispy bacon strips, and you only need 3 easy ingredients to make them!
Easy Ingredients Needed (Only 3 Ingredients!)
- Little Smokies Sausages – cocktail wieners, cocktail smokies, little sausages,
- Pack of Bacon Slices – One pound of bacon is what you will need to make this classic appetizer recipe.
- Brown Sugar – I use light brown sugar but dark brown sugar can be used if you prefer a stronger molasses flavor and darker color. The sugar will caramelize during baking, adding a sweet and savory flavor to these little bites.
How To Make Brown Sugar Smokies With Lil’ Smokies
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet (12″x17″ rimmed cookie sheet is what I use) with parchment paper.
Cut each piece of bacon into thirds so you end up with three pieces of thicker/shorter pieces of bacon per bacon strip.
Take a little smokies sausage and wrap bacon around it. Place it on the parchment lined baking sheet or foil-lined baking sheet, making sure it’s seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining little sausages and bacon strips.
Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon wrapped smokies on the baking sheet.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the bacon is crispy to your preference and the little smokies are hot.
Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter. These are best served warm from the oven and immediately!
Changes & Substitution Ideas
- Little Smokies : These are found in the refrigerated deli meat area near the hotdogs and other sausages. They are small cocktail wieners, little sausages, cocktail smokies, etc. Whatever you want to call them as they go by many different names! Use any variety you like of them. I have seen beef, cheddar, turkey, and spicy lil smokies.
- Bacon : Turkey bacon can be used if preferred.
- Make It Spicy! : Add some cayenne pepper along with the brown sugar. You can also use chili powder or chipotle powder as well.
- Different Glaze Options : Instead of brown sugar you can try brushing each bacon wrapped smokies with some barbecue sauce of choice, hot sauce, or another bottled sauce you prefer. You can also sprinkle on some seasonings as well like garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, or chili powder. I love the simple and sweet brown sugar over top so that’s all I’ve ever done.
Serving Suggestions For Bacon-Wrapped Smokies Recipe
These are best served warm from the oven and best served within a few hours of making them. The crispy bacon paired with the warm and soft little sausage is really yummy when warm.
Place the bacon wrapped smokies on a serving platter and place toothpicks inside a small bowl for easy dipping. You can also put the toothpicks into each little smokies if wanted. I like to eat these as is, but you can serve them with an assortment of dipping sauces like ketchup, ranch, spicy mayo, spicy ranch, hot sauce, or your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Cook Time : The exact cooking time will vary depending on your oven and the thickness of the bacon used. There is a 10-minute cook time window in the recipe card below, so set it for 25 minutes and then cook for longer (or even shorter) as needed. You want to make sure the bacon is nice and crispy for the best tasting appetizer.
- How To Store Leftovers : Store any leftovers inside an airtight container, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. To get the bacon crisp again try putting them in the air fryer for a few minutes.
More Addictive Appetizers To Try
- Million Dollar Dip
- Roasted Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Dried Beef Cheese Ball
- Ham and Pickle Roll Ups
- Antipasto Skewers With Tortellini
- BBQ Sausage Bites
- Air Fryer Pigs In A Blanket
- Crockpot Jelly Meatballs
Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies
- 1 package (14 oz) little smokies
- 1 package (16 oz) bacon
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a rimmed baking sheet (12"x17") with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Cut each piece of bacon into thirds so you end up with three smaller/thicker strips of bacon.1 package (16 oz) bacon
- Take a little smokie sausage and wrap a piece of bacon around it . Place it on the parchment lined baking sheet or foil-lined baking sheet, making sure it's seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining little sausages and bacon strips.1 package (14 oz) little smokies
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bacon wrapped smokies on the baking sheet.1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the bacon is crispy to your preference and the little smokies are hot.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool for 3-5 minutes before transferring them to a serving platter. These are best served warm from the oven and immediately!