Caramel apple muffins are bursting with warm cinnamon & sugar, chunks of apple, and caramel pieces. They bake up perfectly round like a bakery! These muffins are a fun twist to the classic caramel apple. The perfect baking project for a cold & rainy Fall day.
CARAMEL APPLE MUFFINS
Yesterday my husband & I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. Way back when, 10 years ago, I thought for sure we would be off on a tropical escape vacation or on our dream trip to Paris. I mean, it’s 10 YEARS, it’s time to celebrate.
Guess where we spent it? At Chuck e’ Cheeses! So glamourous, haha 🙂 My kids’ school was having a fundraiser night and my kids were so excited for it. They had fun and that makes me happy.
Caramel + Apple is one of my favorite combos. I actually don’t like caramel by itself but if you stick it inside soft, sugar dotted muffins with chunks of apple in it OR stuff it inside a snickerdoodle cookie (E.P.I.C I tell you) I seem to become a big fan of it.
Lately I’ve been on a muffin kick. Nothing makes me more excited than when muffins come out of the oven with that perfectly high and rounded top. These muffins bake up to perfection. And, they come together in just minutes!
If you really want to take these over the top then fill each muffin cup half full, place a piece of caramel, and then fill the rest of the muffin cup with batter. That way you’re sure to get a nice gooey piece of caramel in each bite.
Make sure you also cut your apple into small chunks. If the apple pieces are too big they will stay slightly crunchy. I aim for the size of peas or corn. So they should be fairly small chunks. As far as the caramel goes, either use the square Kraft caramels or the soft caramels from Werther’s.
You can either leave the muffins plain (like in the top picture) or dip them in melted butter and then into cinnamon-sugar mixture. I know it’s just more sugar but seriously try the crunchy sugar coating on top of the muffins. So yummy.
Some of the caramel may leak out while baking or it may end up causing a small hole in the muffin. That’s all normal. Not to worry.
If you love perfect bakery style muffins then be sure to try these cinnamon banana bread muffins and my apple cider muffins! For another yummy caramel apple recipe be sure and make these caramel apple cheesecake bars.
Caramel Apple Muffins
Caramel Apple Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely diced, peeled apple
- 12 square caramels, unwrapped & diced
Cinnamon & Sugar Topping
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk.
- In a separate small bowl, add milk, butter, egg and vanilla and whisk together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until combined. Stir in apple chunks and caramel chunks.
- Divide batter evenly into your prepared cupcake muffin pan. They will be nearly full. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- For cinnamon & sugar topping. Place melted butter in one bowl and stir together sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Once muffins have cooled for about 5 minutes, dip each one in the butter and then immediately into the cinnamon-sugar.
- Enjoy muffins warm and/or reheat any leftovers.
Save this recipe for later and PIN IT to PINTEREST